Learning CW: does "Code Quick" work?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N6YFM, Nov 1, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. K1KKY

K1KKY Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a blast learning with Code Quick and it enabled me to pass the General exam when it was no longer necessary. The other teaching methods left me frustrated. To each his own path !

Does it hold me back from getting faster ? I dunno since I don't really have much CW air time, but I'll tell you it boosted my confidence and gave me a leg up on this stumbling block. A real sense of accomplishment for me as I've tried to get a handle on CW since I was a Boy Scout.

Who knows where it will lead ? Guess that part is up to me. Kudos to Dr Wheeler W6TJP for his efforts.

AB9NZ likes this.
  2. N5ATM

N5ATM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I would advise avoiding Code Quick at all cost. I learned the code using this method and it worked very well....too well. I now find that when I hear CW, I hear the stupid phrase, instead of the letter. Which means I have to translate it twice to get there and it seriously hinders my speed. For instance, when I hear an R, I hear Brr Rabit (the phrase for r), then my brain translates that to R. By the time this has all taken place, I'm behind on the next letter. I'm sure there are plenty of people that don't have this issue but no matter what I try, I can't get rid of the damn phrase part of the translation and it drives me nuts. I'm my oppinion, if all you wanted to do was learn at 5 wpm to pass the test back in the day when it was required, this method would be fine, however if you really want to get good and use CW normally, this is NOT a good method to use. I wish I could undo the way I learned CW. I feel I made a serious mistake.

N5ATM

N0NB likes this.
  3. N0NB

N0NB Subscriber QRZ Page

I have to agree with N5ATM. After 34 years or so after first starting the method, I still sometimes find myself in the translation mode. To get more speed one simply has to train your way out of it and that's as difficult to do as any other translation step.

Knowing what I know now, I would have instead gotten a decent receiver capable of receiving CW well and concentrated on the W1AW code practice transmissions. Today, many other avenues exist either on the 'Net or via a phone app to learn Morse more effectively than ever before.

4. M6GYU

M6GYU Ham Member QRZ Page

learning mnemonics to learn rather a wasted effort. You are in effect learning another 26 items to learn 26 other items - the morse code. Unless you have learning difficulties or a very low IQ I'd guess you should just concentrate on learning to memorise the CW on its own.

WB5YUZ likes this.
  5. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I would like to point out that I went from 5 WPM to 15 in less time than the amount that has elapsed since this thread started, by listening to W1AW and live QSOs.

Learn the alphabet, the numbers, and most of the common Q signals and abbreviations. Three or five WPM is enough to start with. It doesn't matter how you learn as long as it's auditory. (I used a phonograph record which I quickly memorized. It didn't matter, hearing the code was the main thing, even if it was the same sequence over and over.)

Then get off the computer and start listening! I 3550-60 and 7050-60 are good places to start.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  6. M0LEP

M0LEP Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent, you obviously have an aptitude for it, which is something not everybody has. Make the most of it, and count yourself lucky.

1 person likes this.
  7. M0FEU

M0FEU Ham Member QRZ Page

I started using the 'Morse Fusion' website almost a year ago. At that time I could not copy at all in my head. I now read books at 40 wpm and my speed goes up every two months or so. Can't praise this site highly enough; well worth €10 a month for 6 months. Our local Morse teacher OE6RDD almost fell off his chair when he heard me on air having a qrq qso; really glad I took the plunge. Does Code Quick work? I haven't the faintest idea!
    Cheers
    Matt

8. N8DAH

N8DAH Ham Member QRZ Page

Just my 2 cents from a newbie CW op. Ditch the "quick" apps, cheat sheets and word phrases. Learn the sounds, it takes practice and time. I use Morse Machine and G4FON Koch Trainer, both are sound related no cheats no bs no extras. I tried a few ways to learn...counting, word phrases and other "quick" methods and none worked for me at all, I had to take time off to forget the bad habits and start over....At the end of the day do what works for you but in my honest opinion tried and true old fashion practice works best.

9. W6OGC

W6OGC Ham Member QRZ Page

Have a look at Morse Resource http://www.morseresource.com

This is a good way to have text sent at the speed you choose available online just about anywhere. Practice when you want to/can.

10. N0NB

N0NB Subscriber QRZ Page

N8DAH likes this.