ad: elecraft

Learning CW: does "Code Quick" work?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N6YFM, Nov 1, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N3HEE

N3HEE Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks David ! That was very interesting and informative. I've heard stories about the 500 Khz calling frequency and have heard some recordings. You live in a very beautiful place. We spent two weeks touring the UK and Ireland this past July. I dipped my toes into the frigid North Sea in Aberdeen Scotland.

2. M6GYU

M6GYU Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks, it is indeed a lovely spot. |The North Sea is far too cold for me to swim in too!!!

3. KB0TT

KB0TT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The fact is what he stated...... There is not enough ' time ' for a person to the flashcard memory transposing

the visual code to paper at higher speeds .... Thus the ' 10 word per minute ' HUMP ' that you WILL hit .....

The 13 wpm hump is the SAME hump as the 10 wpm hump ....... Do not feel bad about the humps that you

WILL hit ...... Dveryone who tries the flash card method hit the humps .. ..... It is just a

a matter of physics ....... That is why the FCC had the 13 wpm as the cut off speed ..... A person

needed some prowess to get the General class and 20 wpm for the Extra class ..... The FCC chose them for
    just ' that reason ......

THOUSANDS have pssed hnose killer elements and YOU can as well .......

I learned the code when in the boy scouts the WRONG way when I was an 11 year old novice .....

I then had to RELEARN the code the correct way on my second round ..... The
    second round took THREE MONTHS of intense work to get to the 20+ wpm speed ..... It was
    an FCC required element back then ....

Good luck to you ..... CW is truly a rewarding SKILL ......

JB

eas not being sneaky by having arbitrarily chn oosing those speed re......

4. M6GYU

M6GYU Ham Member QRZ Page

Flash cards were the way we (and lots of others learned the letters of the alphabet) It seemed to work for the Royal Navy, The arm, The air force and many civilian commercial operators. Obviously once you know, for example that |F is dit dit dah dit, the the flash cards have done their job and you no longer need them. I never heard of anyone I worked with hitting any hump (or bump)

I can't imagine anyone succeeding by using them as a continual reference tool, if this is what other posters have warned against, then I agree.

N7ZAL likes this.
  5. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I also learned the code the wrong way (easily memorized LP). It didn't matter because as soon as I could copy 5 WPM I started on-air practice.

On-air practice will cover a multitude of sins.

6. N0NB

N0NB Subscriber QRZ Page

I bought Code Quick in the early '80s and it did allow me to learn the letters that I seemed to be unable to learn with ARRL or Heathkit code tapes. Before CQ I'd get to about eight or ten letters and then it would all be a jumble and I'd get frustrated and quit.

Things I did not have at the time that may have helped tremendously would have been a mentor to assist or a buddy that was also studying the code. A receiver capable of reliably receiving the W1AW code transmissions would have been a help.

My biggest stumbling block was an expectation of perfection on my part. It took me quite some time to accept that a few mistakes were not only expected but actually helpful to the learning process (I think it was dabbling in programming that drove that point home). I was of a mind that if I wasn't a master within the first few minutes that I was somehow failing. That was a huge stumbling block and I encounter it on occasion to this day.

30+ years later there are times when I have to ignore my brain's fixation on those catchy phrases I learned with CQ.

You may want to check out Learn CW Online instead.

7. KI4ODO

KI4ODO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Amen to that! I personally have a much harder time copying perfect code like W1AW. I know it's a great tool and I still use it now and then. But I am much better able to copy a human, sending imperfect code. I'm not sure why, but for me it's the case.

A while back I was experiencing "brain freeze" during qso's. I posted on here and the primary advice was have more qso's. As well as make good notes, skip it if you miss it, that sort of thing. And guess what? IT WORKED :)

In thinking back to the days of just learning the code, and venturing on the air those first times, praying I would not screw up too badly. I learned faster than at any other time. It was no time at all that I could really have a nice (and slow) qso and it was a quality, fun contact.

So anyone saying "just get on the air more, it's the best practice" is not being cliche. It really is the best practice. You will learn faster, and more effectively in my opinion by making contacts on the air. And CW ops are the most patient ops on the air that I know of.

I do however think that learning methods like sound alikes, or anything visual, will hinder your progress beyond learning characters.

N0NB likes this.
  8. VA1WAB

VA1WAB Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Neil, I agree with all the comments posted. I'm now doing my best to learn the morse code and and using two down loadable free courses K6RAU and "Just Learn Morris Code". I have a hearing disability so I use the K6RAU to learn the letters and the "Just Learn" program to reinforce speed etc of the letters I've learned (it works for me) it's free give it a try
    http://www.pdarrl.org/k6rau/ and http://www.justlearnmorsecode.com/ There are many other very good courses by Amateurs offered free in the interest of promoting the hobby

9. N7ZAL

N7ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

I learned with home made flash cards and never hit any humps/bumps either. In fact I learned very quickly with the cards...after they were suggested by my Dad.

10. W5TTP

W5TTP Ham Member QRZ Page

my wife just surprised me with the Gordon West (Amazon.com) code course cd's. She is sooooooooooooooo good to me! I was frustrated living in an apartment for an extended period of time and the ambient noise levels did not allow for good hf cw reception. I was going to try and copy my old ARRL tapes to a CD, but these are already done, and...much better for my purpose. My goal is to maintain, or better, my receiving competency for the time when I will be able to seriously get back on the air live. You may want to look into these to increase your speed and proficiency in receiving. Just a thought....

chuck