Learning CW: does "Code Quick" work?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N6YFM, Nov 1, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. N6YFM

N6YFM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi:

I am interested in starting to learn CW. I have read threads here to make sure
    you avoid a method using counting, and instead use a "language" method of
    learning the sound.

Has anyone used the Code Quick method from CQ2K?
    http://www.cq2k.com/index.html

Any comments?

Thanks,

Neal

2. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

I have heard 'Code Quick' is NOT the way to learn because you don't relate the sound heard to only the character but to a phrase.
    That involves thinking about each character heard, that makes you copy very slowly. You're thinking about that dumb phrase!
    What you need to get down is instant recognition of each and every character. This takes time but is certainly easy for you to do.
    Learning and mastering Morse Code will keep one busy. It does not come instantly or without effort.
    Please find the Entry Level or Introduction To Morse Code CD or tapes from ARRL, RSGB or another source to start with.
    You will learn quickly providing you set aside time to do this.
    Using Morse on the air is so much fun and the ops are easy to work with at slow speed, many of us to help you. VY 73 from Lane. de n8aft

3. N3HEE

N3HEE Ham Member QRZ Page

Avoid Code Quick. Avoid relating to Morse code as dits and dahs. It has nothing to do with dits and dahs. It has everything to do with learning the unique "sound" that each character makes. You then need to be able to subconsciously recall these "sounds" in order to become proficient. Eventually you will hear the "sounds" of words and then the "sounds" of sentences. All of this takes time but it is not hard. Work on it a little each day. Get on the air as soon as you are able. This will quickly increase your proficiency. Take a look at http://morsecodemasters.com/The-Classroom/ This will get you pointed in the right direction.

VK2WP and M6GYU like this.
  4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Every method out there has worked for someone. Individuals vary in how they learn best. If it catches your interest, consider giving it a try. Motivation is the key factor in learning anything.

WB5YUZ, W3UF, W7UUU and 2 others like this.
  5. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Code Quick was the only way I could learn code at all, after trying several methods. It's all 'by ear'. I did most of my listening with the CQ cassette in the car. As I have read here, it's not for everyone. I found Farnsworth to be to dry and boring.

There is nothing wrong with using more than one method to learn code, either.

6. W6OGC

W6OGC Ham Member QRZ Page

Once you get all the letters and numbers down, get on the air.

It is a language, and must be used constantly to proficiency . It's easier than being beaten by nuns as a youth, which is how the French learn it.

There is a level of talent which makes it quicker, easier for some than others, but "want to" will overcome all but the worst cases.

KB0TT and WB5YUZ like this.
  7. N7ZAL

N7ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

These miracle crutches are no better than just learning Morse by yourself...with whatever learning methods you prefer. However you learn best (written/visual, etc.) is probably the best way.

Just do it, and listen to Morse CW on the radio. Listening sure helps a lot.

Good luck!

8. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with HEE "It has everything to do with learning the unique "sound" that each character makes."

Like when you read you don't check each letter in a word, you see the total SHAPE of the word.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

9. KD2RON

KD2RON Ham Member QRZ Page

learning code quick is an oxymoron in my opinion. The battle only begins when you learn the characters. The best thing to do is to enjoy whatever method you chose. I been slowly learning for two years and practice daily and love to listen to fast fists. As someone on this thread says, ham radio without cw is just cb.

WA4GW likes this.
  10. M6GYU

M6GYU Ham Member QRZ Page

I definitely would NOT use code quick. Its too slow and makes it even harder as you have to remember the mnemonic and the characters.

I was lucky. I was taught CW in the services. Learning what was A and C etc., we were given a few evenings, packs of 'flash cards' (CW one side Letter on the otherside) and just kept testing each other till we got the alphabet. Some were quite good after that 1st weekend some weren't so good. It just takes a bit of effort and I doubt whether any of us were university material.

Come the monday and some practice with the instructor the remain ing gaps in our learning were filled and we started listening to CW.

It took about six months of practice, probably no more than two or three 40 minute sessions per day to get us all up to around 20wpm around 85%- 95%
    As this six months included a few weeks of holidays several people found it harder going on returning to CW. But as you/we became more experienced and certainly by the time you'd spent time at sea using cw regularily your speed ability stayed more or less the same. Much like riding a bike. Once you've got the hang, thats it. So when you are beginning it is important to have regular practice sessions and not just once or twice a week.

N7ZAL likes this.