Learning and Testing in Las Vegas, NV

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio License Test Schedules' started by ULTRAVISTA, Feb 7, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
  1. ULTRAVISTA

ULTRAVISTA QRZ Member

I am in Southwest Las Vegas, NV and interested in getting licensed. After a long time of listening only, I am ready to take the plunge to get licensed and start transmitting.

Vegas seems to have a void of operators and I do not know anyone with their license. It would be nice to find an elmer or two that are eager to answer a lot of dumb but intricate questions.

2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not in Vegas but would be happy to help in any way I am able - been a ham for almost 43 years so know a little bit anyway.... MANY here know a heck of a lot more but I'm happy to share where I can contribute.

What's on your mind?

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN likes this.
  3. ULTRAVISTA

ULTRAVISTA QRZ Member

Hi Dave, thanks for responding.

I am the kind of person who only learns by understanding how & why things work not by 'that is just the way it is'. At the moment, I am learning as much about antennas as possible but haven't quite grasped the concept of capacitance, inductance, and reactance.

What really boggles my mind is how an antenna works. I get the electron excitation and proper element lengths but do not understand how resonance works in regards to efficiently propagating a signal. And conversely, how a receiving antenna 'resonates' from an incoming electromagnetic field. When I think of resonance, I imagine a tuning fork 'resonating' or 'vibrating' and trying to conceptualize how an antenna element reacts.

This is one of several thousand questions I can come up with.

4. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Gee, there seems to be quite a few ARC's in your area.

http://www.nevadahamradio.com/las-vegas.html

Good Luck

5. ULTRAVISTA

ULTRAVISTA QRZ Member

Thank you ND6M. I didn't find that site when searching.