Learning and listening to CW...

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KF5WDS, Jul 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KF5WDS

KF5WDS Ham Member QRZ Page

I was taking practice general tests on AA9PW's website, and noticed the "morse code on your iPhone" tag. I just downloaded the app and it looks rather interesting.

Anyone use it? It was $4.99 so it better be worth it.

2. WA4OTD

WA4OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

1. First learn the character set. Typical 2 weeks with 30 minutes a night. I recommend learning like 5 letters a night and then build macros in CW Send with those letters. When you copy those 5 add 5 new letters to the macro. Copy sending to CW Get also, but sending is normally easier.
    2. Then practice the character set. Another 2 weeks with 30 minutes a night.
    3. Get on air at ~10 WPM. THis is the goal and getting out of those first two steps as quickly as possible is key!

CW Get and CW Send are good programs to learn with if you are going to work by yourself. Much easier if you have someone to learn with.

For sending you can send with CW send/straight key/keyer and let CW Get receive if you have a laptop. My son learned this with sending with a straight key until CW get could copy him.

As mentioned below, ARRL files. These are good for getting better once you have the letters, numbers and special characters memorized.
    http://www.arrl.org/code-practice-files

3. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Forget 'dots & dashes'.
    Think of Morse as 'dits & dahs'.

For example the letter "V"; NOT "dot dot dot dash", but, "di di dit dah".

It's a whole 'nother world & once bitten, you'll be hooked.

73 de Steve / W5BIB (chasing 'ditties' for over 52 years):)

4. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

That's very easy to say, not that easy to do. Those dots & dashes have been ingrained into my mind, apparently.

I agree. Unfortunately, ten minutes here or there every 5 weeks or so just doesn't cut it.

5. M0LEP

M0LEP Ham Member QRZ Page

What matters more is whether you hear character sounds, or just patterns of dits/dots and dahs/dashes. One way you'll hear (say) "CQ DE" and the other way you'll hear "dah-di-dah-dit---dah-dah-di-dah-------dah-di-dit---dit" (and by the time you've worked out that it says "CQ DE" the rest of the line has passed you by).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.