Learning and listening to CW...

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KF5WDS, Jul 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AD6KA

AD6KA Ham Member QRZ Page

A good program to learn Morse aNd get your speed up is Morse Player 4.0,
    a free download:
    http://www.f1orl.org/cwpeng.htm

From their website:

"
    This freeware program generates the standard Morse caracters, Q codes,
    abbreviations, random series of characters and text files. It controls
    your knowledge through a Quiz test and helps you to get a good keying
    by monitoring your CW signals. Keying off air and verifying your
    transmission on the screen will let you go on air with less stress and
    more confidence.
    It generates Wave sound files (*.wav) of morse characters that can be
    played by any media software.

20 lessons are proposed to learn the Morse code. You can modify their
    contents as you like.

As others have stated, there are literally *dozens* of
    programs out there on the Net for you to use, %99.99 FREE.
    A Sensei once told me that ALL knowledge was like looking
    upwards at an infinite inverted pyramid. You might cut off and "learn" the
    first "foot" of this "pyramid of knowledge". You may even feel you've
    accomplished something noteworthy. But you're still looking up at this
    infinite pyramid. And, if you know a little Geometry, you've realized that
    even though you've cut off the Apex of this infinite pyramid, that you've
    exponenentially increased the amount of knowledge you have yet
    to still "cut off and learn". does that make sense? (I was 13, it took
    me a while to sus it out.....) :)

So, the more you learn, the more you realize what you
    have YET to learn.
    That is one of the most wondrous things about life.
    73, Ken AD6KA

2. NM7G

NM7G Ham Member QRZ Page

I've not looked for them recently, but 4-5 years ago ARRL had code practice files for download in .mp3 and .wav formats. The texts were (I believe) of past on-air procifiency sessions. The library of files of a few dozen files covered 7.5 wpm to at least 35 wpm. Check out the ARRL site. 73

3. M0LEP

M0LEP Ham Member QRZ Page

4. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Yes. The FCC defines CW as Morse Code.

CFR 47 Part 97 Section 97.3(c)(1) CW. International Morce code telegraphy (etc etc etc...)

It doesn't really make sense, but that's what they did.

5. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

A very important thing to remember when learning the International Morse code is NOT to "count" the "dits and dahs"! That is a sure way to failure. Listen to the "sound" of the characters. If you treat learning code the same as learning a foreign language with only about 50-words, the vast majority of people do not have any problems at all!

Glen, K9STH

6. K4PP

K4PP Ham Member QRZ Page

You can also catch the news tickers in morse code; the stuff that runs at the bottom of the screen on cable news http://cw.dimebank.com:8080/

To learn to copy morse code I had played a lot of the Morse Runner computer program as game whenever I had free time. I noticed over the years that my speed went through the roof. It's just call signs and standard contest style exchanges. When I tried to listen to actual code on air, I found I could copy ok to about 25-30 wpm, so I started using the mode. Then came the part where I learned how efficient it was in tough or crowded band conditions so I was glad to have learned it. It's also a fairly relaxing mode to use, especially in a pileup. I can only send conversational morse at around 15wpm but it would be nice to increase that.

Paul
    K4PP

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

As you know, I "taught" code classes for many years and found that people who absolutely never heard of Morse code learned it just fine and pretty quickly. Those who had "heard" of it thought it was very difficult and never did nearly as well.

Talk about a mental block based on misinformation.:p

When "we" were kids we learned the code just to get licensed, and never thought anything of it. It was the same as learning Ohm's Law or the other two hundred things you had to learn to get licensed. I never thought it was any different. But then again, as a kid nobody ever told me it should be difficult or take a long time, or require a lot of practice. If I'd ever heard that, it might have scared me off.

8. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

It was right there in the "Handbook for Boys", the official Boy Scout manual. Our Assistant Scoutmaster (Master Chief Quartermaster, USN Ret) was a great Elmer. He'd learned the code using flashing light and hung around the radio shack when he was off watch, picking up the fine points of hearing it rather than seeing it. He taught us both ways plus semaphore and flaghoist, so I was able to qualify as Signalman of the Watch as a Radioman.

9. M0LEP

M0LEP Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd guess those who hadn't heard of it had an advantage because the first they heard of it was from a teacher who knew how it needed to be taught. Those who had heard of it, already had a table of characters with dots and dashes in their heads. Maybe they'd even tried to learn it using those tables. Trouble is, it's hard work un-learning that table once you've even half-way learned it. Not surprising if they find it more difficult to learn the correct way, nor if they don't do as well. Definitely a mental block, but caused by already having that mental table of characters and dots and dashes from having tried to learn it the wrong way.

10. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

This is my biggest struggle. I tried learning dots and dashes 30 years ago because that's the way I was told to do it. I failed then but I still think of the dots and dashes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.