ad: elecraft

Learning and listening to CW...

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KF5WDS, Jul 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KF5WDS

KF5WDS Ham Member QRZ Page

This is a two part question.

I decided that if I was going to get into amateur radio, that I was going to get into amateur radio and learn everything. Aside from Googleing "how to learn morse code" and clicking everything link with available information (which is what I'm doing), is there one systematically defined way of learning that's better than others?

And the second part of my question is, is there any available internet feed that will allow me to listen to CW? I have 12 hours to listen while I'm at work, and I usually listen to 2m/70cm repeaters via Broadcastify. Is there anything like that with a channel that has CW?

2. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Probably not, but a lot of people will tell you there is. You will probably have to decide for yourself. My advice is get good at copying before you try sending. I went the other way round and it's not good.

Yes. The ARRL has a regular schedule of CW transmissions for practice copy. I wouldn't know of any online way to listen, but I'm sure there is one.

There are a lot of CD's for sale that have CW for practice copy. That may be more practical than what you are trying to do.

3. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Knowing everything about amateur radio is much like reaching the end of the internet. But it's a good goal.

1. No. CW is not a "one size fits all" type of thing. There are several different methods but you have to find the one that works for you. The way that worked for me was pretty simple. I used a piece of software called Morse Academy to create code files on cassette tape. I started around 10 WPM and would listen to it for about 15 minutes, three times a day. Once I was copying about 90% of the code, I would up the speed by 2 WPM. It's surprising how much of a difference 2 WPM makes. I did this until I was at about 25 WPM. At that point I took the 20 WPM test with ease. But you don't have to worry about that. So select a method and try it. If it doesn't seem to be working, select another. When you hit on the right one, you will know it.

2. Try listening at "http://websdr.org/". This is a web site that has a collection of Software Defined Radios (SDR) from around the world. Just pick one with the band you want to listen to. But don't depend on it too much to increase your speed. It would be difficult to find the QSO that is operating at just the right speed for you. There will be speeds and qualities that are all over the map.

Finally, once you get all the letters and numbers down, get on the air. It doesn't matter how bad you are initially, you will get better with time and practice. And, there are a lot of hams trying to learn, just like you. It's frustrating at first, but it does get easier.

4. KF5WDS

I guess I should have worded that statement a bit different. In other words, although CW isn't a requirement, I have still set a personal goal of learning the mode.

5. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

I just Googled "listen to morse code online" and got several sites. They might be faster than you can copy, but there are sites out there. Remember, you want to learn Morse code; you don't learn "CW".

6. KF5WDS

Aren't they one in the same? Or aren't the terms used interchangeably at least?

7. M0LEP

M0LEP Ham Member QRZ Page

CW is one way of transmitting Morse code. Other ways include Morse's original electric telegraph, and the signal lights once used by ships at sea...

8. KF5WDS

Got it! Thanks.

9. PA3LS

PA3LS Ham Member QRZ Page

You can try www.websdr.org if you want to listen to on-the-air morse.

10. KD2CTY

KD2CTY Ham Member QRZ Page

Goto youtube and search for international morse code. A bunch of tutorial lessons should show up. I downloaded a bunch of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.