Learnin' noo stuff

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KL7AJ, Sep 24, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

In my never-ending quest to wobble some heretofore unwobbled brain follicles, to the ultiement end that I don't become too senile before wandering off the planet, I've been learning SciPy, which is a Python-based MATLAB type program....actually a whole library of programs. Some very cool stuff in here....and it might even be more capable than MATLAB.
    Stay tuned.

2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I assume they are both high-priced software packages?

3. KL7AJ

Nope...SciPy is free and open source. Matlab is the 'spensive one.

4. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Uh oh, the Matlab financial people will not be happy to hear that. I never checked out SciPy because we had a full company wide Matlab/Simulink license, and it was the "standard".

5. KL7AJ

You might also check out GNU Octave...it's 100% compatible with Matlab. However, it takes about 6 hours to compile. :)

6. WB8AM

WB8AM Ham Member QRZ Page

7. WA9SVD

You mean, I can't run it on my NEC i8086 Laptop?:( Would an i7-7700 with 16GB memory work?:D

I may try SciPy when I get a "roundtuit." But Eric and others, THANKS for the information!

8. WA9SVD

AWW, dinner and a movie and wake up in the morning? Reminds me of MS-DOS days!

9. W9FTV

W9FTV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

On Debian derivatives it's an 'apt install octave' away. No need to compile.