Learn to LISTEN

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by N5CM, Oct 29, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. N5CM

N5CM Ham Member QRZ Page

I saw D68CCC spotted on 12m CW today, and I need D68CCC on 12m CW.

I adjusted my tuners (not on the DX transmit or listening frequencies), went to the spotted frequency, and set to split mode.

Yessiree, there was the pileup. Good!:) I L - I - S - T - E - N - E - D on the DX transmit frequency for 30 or 40 seconds. Hmmmm, that's funny (funny - unusual, not funny - ha-ha). I wonder why D68CCC just sent "VP6R up"? Maybe that ain't really D68CCC:eek:.

2. WC5P

WC5P Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I saw a spot this morning which seemed to indicate that they were both on the same frequency, but I thought it was 18069. Could be my 73 year old memory is faulty though.

3. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe they should have listened so as not to transmit it on top of the other.

4. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Spots are often wrong. Saw one today with the wrong callsign. I’ll bet a lot of guys just logged it that way without listening to make sure first.

5. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I have indeed noticed a trend from the "Up Police" who just "work the guy" rather than badger him call after call with "Up Up Up" that goes ignored - they just pretend to be the DX, give out a report, and say TU. They do NOT identify. Just "W27XXX 599 TU"

Wrong? Sure it is - but it does make me laugh a little.... when the guy running simplex finds out he never actually worked the DX :eek::D

Dave
    W7UUU

6. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Learn to what??

7. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Huh?

KV6O likes this.
  8. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Que “Cone of Silence” routine from Get Smart.

N5CM likes this.
  9. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

I've heard that plenty of times. If the station who is clueless and ignores the up up finally hears an "up police officer" work him, he'll then give his 599 tu and disappear.. getting rid the person. I have to chuckle a bit..