Learn The Bandplan!

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by KA7GKN, Jul 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N4AUD

N4AUD Ham Member QRZ Page

QRZ is not amateur radio. The internet is not amateur radio. Get off the computer and on the air and you'll find amateur radio is a pretty friendly place.

2. KD3YT

KD3YT Ham Member QRZ Page

Could not agree more!!

3. KD5PME

KD5PME Ham Member QRZ Page

I understand the freq allocation charts, but most band plan charts have me scratching my head. For example, I have yet to discover the CW and SSB portions of the most of the bands on the ARRL chart, yet I have often heard of them.

4. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Take a look at 97.305

I had a color chart too. I think it was from either Icom or Kenwood.

5. KJ4IDH

KJ4IDH Ham Member QRZ Page

Real World

Anthony,

Real world is much more different than QRZ... Plan on going to the hamfest in Okeechobee this coming Saturday. You will find folks much more willing to talk and answer questions, and much friendlier in person and on the air!!!

Maybe see ya there.

6. AE5JU

AE5JU Ham Member QRZ Page

I still occasionally get comments about "since the FCC dumbed down the tests and eliminated code" and "#%$& no-code Extra". OK, I'm learning morse but that is my business.

I keep the bandplan at the front of my "station book" (3 ring binder with plastic sleeves) right next to my license. I recently turned down buying an otherwise nice rig that had been "opened up". I like the fact that if I wander past the band edge the radio won't transmit.

Perhaps just a gentle reminder to someone that has wandered off the reservation, "Uh, sir, I see that you are a General class licensee. I would remind you that Generals need to stay above 3.800 mhz. 73, AE5JU." might be better.

Paul - AE5JU

7. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not sure I understand this comment.

The frequency allocation charts for the U.S. show where CW/digital and voice modes are allowed. With some exceptions, the CW/digital portion is on the lower end of the band. The exceptions would be 160 which has no subbands, 60 which is all USB, and 30 which is all CW/digital.

The next levels of confusion are the allocations by license class. This makes it a bit tougher. On the 'classic' ham bands, 80,40,20, and 15, the Extras have exclusive rights to the bottom 25 Khz. of the band for CW and digital. On phone, there are other subbands restricted to Extra, Advanced, and on 10 meters, Generals and higher class licensees. There are no class subbands on the WARC bands - if you want to see what ham radio was like before Incentive Licensing, these bands are a good place to go.

Finallly, we have the voluntary 'bandplans', which suggest frequencies for different kinds of activity. For example, the ARRL band plan for 40 meters suggests 7080-7125 for 'data'. However, you'll also find data in other places on the band - 7070 is popular for PSK31. Not following these voluntary bandplans can result in problems, since they are viewed as 'good amateur practice' which is something we should all do, according to FCC rules. But, I don't expect to see any citations for operating PSK on 7070, or the European standard 7040 either.

I hope I've helped clear something up for you. It's all clear as mud, I suppose...

8. MENNIATS73

MENNIATS73 banned

Learn The Bandplan

assalamu alaikkum,
    my name is physal ibrahim and i am from india ..presently woring in UAE. i would like to view this video ..Learn to pray as the prophet prayed. how can i do that? pls help me...

9. K2EIT

K2EIT Ham Member QRZ Page

Speaking of the "voluntary bandplans" - where's the DX Calling Frequencies, and non-DX Calling Frequencies? Anyone know?

I have an HF beam out here at the college's shack, unfortunately the rotator isn't wired up, but I'd like to try making some DX and local contacts, but I find myself getting faint RX on stations, and probably waste a lot of time listening into nets (unfortunately, that's 99% of what I hear) and very little time working stations.

Thanks and 73's

- N8JDR

10. KF7GLF

KF7GLF Ham Member QRZ Page

I never really thought about transmitting outside the bands my license allows, but since this topic seems to come up a lot I have a question. Are there people that look up other's call signs in the ULS every time they hear a transmission to check their license class?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.