Learn The Bandplan!

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by KA7GKN, Jul 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N4AUD

N4AUD Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure. Someone hears a rare DX station they need or want but it's outside of the op's privileges and he thinks "Nobody will know the difference." The FCC cites hams fairly often for it.
    It happens a lot during contests. Some people just get carried away, I guess.

2. W9MAV

W9MAV Ham Member QRZ Page

Phhhh bandplans. I just say Hola very loud to get people of my frequency. I will always stay on my one frequency. I never leave. And if they stay there I will just constantly tune up on them.:rolleyes:

3. W0DV

W0DV Ham Member QRZ Page

Well of course it is a flame war. Many of the threads on QRZ are much the same. I read the first sentence of this thread and I know instantly that it's going to be yet another "complaining" thread. Some people feel they are on the tower looking down on everyone else and making sure we stay in line.

This thread is useful to no one.

It someone is going to be angry, bitter, or dissatisfied with the hobby, they should hang it up. Perhaps placing their equipment on a hard surface and smashing it to bits with a large hammer will help.

Dave

4. K5DE

K5DE Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry, found it useful. So at least one out of some six+ billion.

Rick

5. KJ4FVV

KJ4FVV Ham Member QRZ Page

No. They should unload that equipment at the hamfest so the rest of us can make use of it.;)

I didn't think the thread was useless. I think the OP called attention to something that, apparently, is a problem. I didn't know it was. I stay within the frequencies that my license allows but I guess some people don't.

Maybe the OP's thread will make other people who are doing this think about it. I suspect that most amateurs have a computer in their shack these days and can run a callsign through QRZ's database in a flash. In fact, the first time I checked into SOUTHCARS on 40M, the net control operator told me, "your callsign checks out", so I assume they ran my callsign to make sure it was not just legit but allowed 40M privileges as well.

As far as "flame wars", that happens on just about every forum, IMO. People feel an anonymity on the internet and lots of times will say things they wouldn't say to you personally. Of course, we have less anon here since we are ID'd by our callsigns. My practice on the internetz and on the airwaves is to never say something I wouldn't say in person.

6. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a lot better to have another ham tell you this than the FCC. I know from first hand experience.

eric

7. KJ4OMM

KJ4OMM Ham Member QRZ Page

Before I spend any more money, I'd like a bit of honesty.
    As a new person to the hobbie of amateur radio, I'm now wondering if this if the general attitude I'm going to run into until I.. "fit in"?
    If it is, I'm ready to back out and cut my losses.

8. KJ4FVV

KJ4FVV Ham Member QRZ Page

I have not been in that long, but have found everyone I have talked to on amateur radio to be friendly and helpful. I've seen some "snarkiness" on this forum, but people on the air have been great. BTW, I listened for about two weeks on the local 2m repeaters before I ever transmitted just so I had would have more of an idea of how thinks worked.

I have heard one guy get really ranked out for using 11 meter lingo on a 2 meter repeater. Don't do any of that and you'll probably be okay.

9. KJ4OMM

KJ4OMM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you. For both the reply and the advice.
    Tony

10. W0DV

W0DV Ham Member QRZ Page

NO! QRZ is like a CB Radio. There are certain people on here that will try to provoke you, just like on the CB. You will notice that the same topics constantly get brought up. License structure, Morse code. These topics keep getting brought up, rarely in a positive light. Newer hams, no code hams are always targeted. The same people keep running their mug and there isn't much you can do about it except ignore them. If you get defensive, you will be targeted.
    On the air is a much different story. Not that poor behavior doesn't exist on the air but it isn't that prevalent.
    Have fun.

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.