ad: ARR

Learn The Bandplan!

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by KA7GKN, Jul 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KX0Z

KX0Z Ham Member QRZ Page

No kidding, I have been off the air so long, I had forgot all that stuff.

2. N4AUD

N4AUD Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a laminated copy of the bandplan taped to the top of my shack desk and there always will be unless someone comes up with a better way to display it. It NEVER hurts to check if you're close to the edge or on a band you don't work often. Better safe than sorry, and it might just keep you from being a lid some day.

3. K0CMH

K0CMH Ham Member QRZ Page

I have made very small listings of the bands that I tape to each radio. I also keep a copy in my wallet. It never hurts me to look when I am not 100% positive.

4. W7DKK

W7DKK Ham Member QRZ Page

Is there a hardware solution for band plan?

I hope this thread is still in the Elmer's Corner.

I'm a new Tech and don't even own a radio yet. When I buy one, is it possible to program it to only transmit within the Tech Band Plan? If so, is there software to help?

Thanks.

5. WA4OTD

WA4OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

As an old timer returned, it is hard for me to keep the WARC bands straight.

Even harder to keep the "unofficial" segments within a band straight like PSK here and RTTY there and DX and etc.

6. KB3SKU

KB3SKU Ham Member QRZ Page

7. K5DE

K5DE Ham Member QRZ Page

>Hi is this one ok to use? i mean is it current?

It may be okay to use, but it is a frequency allocation chart and not a band plan. I'm not sure how there would be an "official" band plan as the band plan is not a regulation, it is suggestions that have been loosely implemented over the years to assist in dividing the allocated band into segments for various activities to help avoid conflict. If the FCC points to any particular organization as having an "official suggestion" list, hopefully someone will point it out.

The band plan listed by the OP (http://mostgraveconcern.com/ke7hlr/hfbands/hfbandplan.pdf) has many more suggested frequencies than the ARRL band plan listing (http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/bandplan.html).

Rick
    N4YQP

8. KB3SKU

KB3SKU Ham Member QRZ Page

So the one the OP posted would probably be the best one to use correct?

To be honest all im worried about is making sure im transmitting on the Right frequency for my class,especially when i get my General class and someday my Extra.

Technican Class frequencys seem to be the easiest to remember but once i get General it might be a little confusing for a while. lol ill probally be checking it 3 times everytime before i transmit just to be 200% sure im transmitting on the right frequency :)

Curious,you guys that have been General or Extra for like 10 or more years do you still check the band plan? Or do yas pretty much have it memorized by now?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  9. AB2CD

AB2CD Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree. We need more Elmers

There have comments that the topic of operating outside one’s privileges or outside the band plan doesn’t belong here. I feel it does because it highlights the need for elmering. Elmering is something we all do whenever we transmit. It starts with setting a good example. I can’t begin to count how many times I hear so called experienced hams using off the wall phonetics or asking what my personal is. I agree that new hams should be especially aware of their limited frequency usage. Mistakes happen, and I’ve been known to call CQ on the wrong sideband having accidentally toggled the band switch after tuning on a 756 Pro. Embarrassed by the faux pas, I say excuse me and hit the button. I feel we should all do our best to keep the ham bands from sounding like CB. That being said, there are a lot of CBers who are far more polite to new bees. We all have our pet peeves. de Atlanta Boston 4 Chicago Dallas “Say again please…not sure I copied your location on this end?”

Jim

10. KJ4FVV

KJ4FVV Ham Member QRZ Page

My Tech allocations were easy enough to remember. When I upgraded to General, I printed a copy out from the ARRL site and I keep them nearby. I have memorized allocations for the bands I work now (20 and 40M) but some of the other bands that I might operate on in the future (such as 80 or 15M) would require me to keep the chart around.

I didn't know that people were going outside of their license limitations. Hmm, it never occurred to me to do it. I just operate in the areas I can and usually there is plenty of room. If not, I can always listen or get on 2M. Or go do something else.

I am surprised that this is even an issue....or is it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.