Learn The Bandplan!

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by KA7GKN, Jul 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KA7GKN

KA7GKN Ham Member QRZ Page

As a new Ham or new General class Ham learn your allocated band plan!
    [ALLOCATED OPERATING FREQUENCIES AND MODES AS DELINEATED BY YOUR SPECIFIC FCC AMATEUR RADIO
    OPERATOR'S LICENSE]

A general class can not operate within the advanced or extra portion of the bands....it's the law and your license limitation.
    Just because you can hear someone there, does not mean you can transmit there to tell them you can hear them! YOU CAN NOT!!!

It's your responsibility to know this stuff!!!! In fact there are questions on the exams discussing just this topic!

Some folks do not have QRZ handy to see if every "breaker" is allowed on the specific frequency they are on.

OK, your excited, accidents happen; but still you as the responsible person with a specific operators license must know where you can or can not operate.

Is this clear now?

Martin KA7GKN

Link to a printable band plan: http://mostgraveconcern.com/ke7hlr/hfbands/

Further bandplan discussion: http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?t=168725

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  2. W4SPD

W4SPD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Do I need to call the waaaaaaaahmbulance?

3. KE7ZOE

KE7ZOE Ham Member QRZ Page

Especially since the band plan is slightly easier to understand than written chinese. Anyone who makes this mistake should be hunted down and killed. Zero tollerance.:rolleyes:

As a noob with a new radio I feel like there are more hams listening for violations, with prewritten and addressed complaint letters to the FCC, than people who actually want to respond to a CQ from a noob.

Thanks for your help and patience.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  4. KJ4KDM

KJ4KDM Guest

HAHAHA! Another useless post. How about worrying about the "extras" running way over legal limit splattering the crap out of the bands! Ill take a guy transmitting out of his privledge range any day.

5. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This really belongs in the Opinion section, not Elmers.

6. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

It does not belong at all.

7. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think you meant to say FCC authorized operating privileges or authorized frequencies, not "band plan". Band Plan is a term usually in reference to the voluntary organization of preferred frequencies for particular operating modes or purposes within the authorized frequencies bands.

Keeping within your authorized frequency allocations is easy.

Go to http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/bands.html

Download one of the frequency allocation charts there. Print it out. Keep it at your operating position.

Eventually you'll memorize it and won't need to refer to the chart, but until you do, just refer to the chart every time before transmitting.

8. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, if you're getting more FCC complaints filed against you than you are responses to your CQs, then maybe you're doing something wrong?

But seriously - If you're not getting answers to your CQs but can hear other people on the band, there may be a problem with your equipment or antenna or the way you're operating. That's something that can be worked on.

I assume we're talking about 10 meters SSB. Are you calling CQ and getting no responses at all? Are you hearing other stations on the band? What kind of radio do you have, what antenna?

9. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sked?

Hey man, any time you want to try your radio on ten, give me a call. my contact info is on the Radio Club of Tacoma website at http://www.w7dk.org/ under club officers.

I can probably hear you OK. I can usually hear K7OKS in Ollalla during the Sunday night nets. By the way the net would also be a good place to check your radio. It is on Sunday nights on 28.275 MHz at 8 PM. We get check-in's from all over the south Puget Sound.

73 Gary

10. WH7EVR

WH7EVR Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately this thread seems to have become more of a flame-war than a useful, helpful info thread -- I'll try to get us back on topic here for a moment.

I agree with the subject heading of this thread -- Learn the Band-plan! Many operators who agree with this statement have differing reasons. One or more posters here are very protective over there Extra/Advanced rights. Others say learn it because otherwise you violate FCC regulations. I personally, say learn it because it'll help you become a better operator.

Whatever your reasoning is, it is a /good idea/. Probably the best, non-flamey reason for why you should is as follows:

Most people will be obeying the band-plan, and if you know what that is then you will be more likely to make contacts. A majority of HF users are not extras, they are generals. This means a majority of users will be within the General portion of the bands! So the closer you stick to the band-plan, the more likely you are to get contacts. Not to mention you won't have over-zealous extras spamming the FCC with complaints against you.

But really it'll help you get used to HF (more contacts = more practice), help you become a better operator (more contacts = more practice, again), and keep you out of trouble (fines = bad)!

Learn the band plan!

Btw, I'm a noob (tech) but I had the great honor of working HF bands on field day under the W7FLY call-sign and the supervision of their extra-class operators. A huge thanks to them for teaching me so much in so little time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.