Ldg z100 plus and yaesu 857d not working

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by M6OTU, Aug 10, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. M6OTU

M6OTU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello folks.

As title suggests, I have a brand new 857d and brand new ldg z100 plus.

Now the tuner works flawlessly on my other radios ( dx70th ) ( ts2000 ) with or without the interface cables. Will tune a piece of wet shoe lace.....

Connect the tuner to the 857 and it won't have any of it. It attempts to tune albeit very slow and lathargic in its efforts Never finds a match unless its a recall from a frequency stored from another radio tune....

I have the y-acc cable and all settings in the radio are as they are meant to be, I can't even get a manual tune on 5 Watts without y-acc cable...

So in summary, the tuner works fine on other radios with or without interface cables. But will not entertain a full tuning cycle when connected to the 857d . It starts a tune then appears to quit half way, but its very slow ( only rattles half as fast ) compared to when connected to dx70th or ts2000.

Any ideas/suggestions are more than welcome even if I've already covered them.

Best 73

M6OTU

Rob

2. W5TTW

W5TTW Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Are you using the correct antenna plug on the radio? It has two, one for HF and one for VHF. If you're trying to tune on HF while using the VHF......

3. M6OTU

100% positive its attached to the hf socket as the vhf/uhf is n-type.

4. W5TTW

W5TTW Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

What's your power out on the 857? Have you reset the LDG? Are you using the same power supply for the 857 & LDG?

(I've been running an 857 and LDG Z11 in my truck for almost 10 years. Never a problem.)

5. M6OTU

Have everything set to 10 Watts all bands. Although I have tried on 5 Watts as low as radio will go. It will tune/match fine on the dx70 on 10 Watts. Seems like a total miss match of equipment to me. Tuner works fine on other radios and radio works fine with other tuners. . May have to chalk this one down to incompatibility. The 2 will not get along.

Tried on same psu and separate psu. Also tried running tuner via batteries..

Not sure the z100 plus can be reset?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  6. W5TTP

W5TTP Ham Member QRZ Page

Recheck the 857's menu to be sure that it is set for use with the tuner. I have that setup and works well. I can dig out my manual and verify the menu option, but if someone else has theirs handy.....please chime in. This setup should be a snap......if the 857's menu is set correctly. Please let us know...

Good luck.

Chuck

7. M6OTU

Menu 85 tuner/atas is set to tuner . Menu 20 cat/lin/tun is set to tuner.

Regards

Rob

8. G8ADD

G8ADD Ham Member QRZ Page

In Menu 85 did you try selecting ATAS(HF) or ATAS(HF&50)?

9. M6OTU

I never tried that as I presumed that was solely if you had the atas antenna?

10. G8ADD

G8ADD Ham Member QRZ Page

Its worth a try!