LDG Tuners not compatible with Acom Amps?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by N1SP, Apr 29, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N1SP

N1SP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I previously owned an LDG AT600 Pro II and never had a bit of trouble. Just upgraded to an AT1000 Pro II and on rare occasions experience a "lock up" where no buttons function until power is removed and reapplied. This is not a huge issue, but annoying. After contacting LDG, and explaining that I do not use a switching power supply, station is well grounded and ferrite chokes are on all power leads, and a complete description of my station including Acom 1010 amp, the final solution/ communication is copied below...

LDG Electronics Technical Support
    Mar 26, 2021, 4:42 PM

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    to me
    [​IMG]

Hi Randy,

Thanks for the info. The first and pretty much the only thing that jumped out from the additional details was the Acom amp. We do not recommend using any LDG tuner with an Acom amp. They simply don’t work well together.

Other than that, you have taken care of most of the places I would suggest.

Best regards,

Dwayne

I am sure this fellow is much more technically adept than myself, but has anyone ever heard of this? As it would affect a fair portion of the market for these tuners, one would think it would be mentioned on their website.

73, Randy N1SP

2. N1SP

Should also mention the unit otherwise functions as it should. Usually the lock up occurs after a long period of idle use (tuning not active), just seems to "go to sleep" with no indication it has happened- until you go to turn it off or band jump. Usually happens when the amp is not even turned on, as I mostly operate 100 watts unless low band conditions are poor!

3. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Dwayne at LDG appears to not want your business. ( Nor mine )
    That is some very low grade "tech support", thank you for reporting.

4. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I don’t see the problem between the amp and the tuner being the fact that the amp is an Acom. Lame.

5. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I also don't see why that amp would be a problem. Now, if you were trying to tune with the amp on, THAT could be a problem. But that applies to any amp. Or if trying to use more than 500 watts for something other than SSB. Again, but that applies to any amp.

My guesses on things to try:

1) Measure your antenna to make sure you are trying to tune a reasonable mismatch. Up to a 3:1 SWR reading you are probably OK. If more than that you've got other problems you need to fix.
    2) Make sure you are activating the tuner at 100 watts or less. The procedure should be: A) With 100 watts or less have the LDG auto adjust, B) Bring the amp online and then tune the amp.
    3) If you have the radio->LDG cable installed remove it.
    4) The amp should handle any reasonable mismatch on its own. Just turn the LDG off when using the amp.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  6. K7JQ

K7JQ Ham Member QRZ Page

What a bunch of BS. Looks like Dwayne just didn't want to be bothered helping you. The only connection between the tuner and amp is coax, and maybe an SWR/power meter. RF is RF...what does the brand of amp have to do with it? I'd ask him on what does he base his statement.

7. N1SP

Thanks for the thoughts and replies. Again, I used an AT600 for a long time with no issues, and whenever this "falling asleep" issue has happened the amp has not ever been turned on! It is not a tuning or staying tuned issue, (see original post) No antenna, radio, power supply or amp has changed between using the two tuners, so this tuner has a little glitch- which is livable because it happens so rarely!

To not "beat this dog to death", just found it interesting that a manufacturer would grasp at such straws thinking I would except that as fact.
    I would rather have heard... "since problem is intermittent, please let us know if it continues or becomes worse, as often intermittent issues are difficult to recreate on the bench" as that makes sense.

Instead I guess the solution is to ditch a $2200 Acom 1010, heck, maybe my TS890 as well and buy brands they suggest (except I don't find those suggestions either).

Nuff said'
    Randy

8. ZS6US

ZS6US XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Have you tried resetting the tuner to see if it solves the problem? I can't quite remember how Google is your friend, back when I had a 600 ProII I had some issues with it going a bit bonkers at times and I found a full reset every couple of months solved the problem, I sold the tuner after upgrading to a 1 kW amp.

BTW can the 1000 Pro II auto match a antenna to a SWR lower than 1.5:1? From what I understood when owning the 600 was that it can't be configured to auto match a antenna to better than 1.5:1 which in my opinion anyway made it unsuitable for use with a SS amplifier. You can of course manually bring it down to 1.1:1 or whatever, but this defeats having a auto tuner.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
  9. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

From what I remember the original 1000 Pro will also stop once it finds a "good enough" match. But you can then force another check to find a better match. You can also manually adjust the settings.

My limited experience with SS amps is that they are usually good to a 2.0:1 SWR. And even that had a little play in that they could handle a higher mismatch at lower power. The problem was the total reflected power, not the ratio. Kind of like with antenna tuners. The limitations are more for things like voltage and current in the circuit, not really SWR.

10. NM7L

NM7L Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an LDG AT-1000 Pro that exhibits the same "idle lock-up" symptoms. Since the unit was "pre-owned" prior to my receipt I just have to grin & bar (Southern for "bear") it.

KD2ACO and N1SP like this.