LDG Products

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KG4LLQ, Aug 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W0GI

W0GI Ham Member QRZ Page

I was about to buy a Z11pro for the FT-817, but before spending $180, I remembered the MFJ-901B packed away in a closet.

It has a built in balun and works great. Take some time and make a cheat sheet with the settings for each band, and tuning takes seconds if using the same antenna.

The good part, is no batteries or balun needed, and you don't have to worry about burned out relays.

Manual tuners have more range, and really aren't hard to use once you write down the settings. This one is 15-25 years old, and will last longer then me.

Don't rule out manual tuners, they work good.

[​IMG]

2. W1GUH

W1GUH Ham Member QRZ Page

For me, that's a very good reason to steer clear of them. Their stuff is probably really good, I haven't heard a bad word about them, but it seems to me that that's a complete "dis" form them to us.

OTOH - I've got their FT-Meter for my '857 and that's close to a "required accessory." I love it. But then, I doubt if I'd ever need a schematic for that.

Byt contrast --

MFJ's policy encourages hams to make their own repairs. It is stated explicitlly in their warranty that user repairs will NOT void the warranty. And, if you call them (and maybe you have to get the right person), they'll support you with suggestions and replacement parts.

Yaesu will sell you a service manual CD, or you can get it free on-line, and ordering parts from them is a snap. They have no problem with hams fixing their radios.

Does LDG justify it's diss-ing to hams policy to hams? Or do they just stonewall it?

I'm floored to hear of a ham equipment supplier that won't release a schematic and parts list.

3. WE0H

WE0H Ham Member QRZ Page

So was I.

I worked through the repair like anything else with no drawing. Took longer but I repaired it and conformal coated that area of the board and other places where arcing could happen.

I think everything sold should have a schematic in it's manual or online for the purchaser to download, if they so desire. Good customer support goes a long ways. Customers talk to other potential customers. A good reputation goes a long ways, and even more so in these tough economic days. A company craps on their customers, word of that gets out and business's can fail, or not do as well as could be, because of a bad reputation.

Mike

4. W0GI

W0GI Ham Member QRZ Page

Not a good policy. I would probably never buy one of their products. I'm glad I saved $180.

Some companies just don't get it.

5. WE0H

WE0H Ham Member QRZ Page

The tuner works but you are on your own if you fry it :D It's not a tough one to repair unless it is the controller part, then your screwed and have to send it in for $$$ :eek:

Mike

6. W0GI

W0GI Ham Member QRZ Page

That is the part that makes me pause. We buy a lot of ready made stuff, but that shouldn't be the norm. Now they take it from "ready made" to you can't fix it yourself either? Guess I should just buy another Cobra CB when the current one breaks? I don't have a Cobra CB, but I sure see the parallel.

Well, business is business, but again, I won't buy their products, as they must think Hams are just CB dipweeds.

Pretty suprising, and I am glad to read this before I bought an LDG product.

7. KW7RF

KW7RF Ham Member QRZ Page

I love mine

They are great tuners. The 2 yr warranty transfer so try to find a used one if you need to save money.

8. WE0H

WE0H Ham Member QRZ Page

The warranty transfer is interesting as their tech support didn't mention anything when I told them the serial number hand written on the bottom of the circuit board. I thought it was a little strange to have a serial number hidden like that on the bottom side of the board. Pull the cover on a AT-200PRO and tell me how easy it is to see that number :rolleyes:

But, bottom line, the tuner does a fabulous job finding matches. I am not afraid of repairing any radio device I own, schematic or not :D

Mike

9. W0GI

W0GI Ham Member QRZ Page

Inductors and capacitors do the job. Nothing that LDG invented.

Maybe I take this the wrong way, but auto L-C auto tuners aren't exactly rocket science. But maybe LDG thinks it is.

Idiots, if you ask me. There are people that won't buy their tuner because they don't sell parts.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  10. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Z-11 Pro tuner that is currently back with LDG for warranty service. One of the coils overheated, emitted some smoke and got rather burned around its base while I was on 20m CW. I smelled it and took the cover off. It was about 10 minutes before that coil and relays close to it were cool enough to comfortably touch. I explained to LDG in an email that I was running 100 watts into it and then to a DX Engineering balun and then to ladder line. The person who responded was happy that I was using it within its power rating so invited me to send it back for service.

Despite all that I'm still think it's reasonably good value considering the price. I'm pleased that they accepted it back for warranty service but I'm still a little bit skeptical about whether it was really faulty or it will happen again if I give it the same stress. It seems to me that they can't really give these things a power rating in watts because its voltage and current that does the damage and that depends on the impedance you're trying to match. The manual does say 125 watts "at the most".

I bought it mainly to live in a plastic box outside so that I could run coax to it instead of having to run the ladder line into the house. It can run on flashlight batteries which is very convenient. If it seldom needs to tune, ie it's mostly recalling from memory, then the batteries will last two years according to the manual.

Now that I've managed to bring the ladder line into the house I've gone back to my old MFJ-941D manual tuner. It's easy enough to tune so I think I'll be keeping the Z11-Pro mostly for portable QRP operation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.