ad: HamFM-1

LDG AT-1000ProII 1KW auto tuner -- any comments?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by K8EA, Sep 16, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. K8EA

K8EA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am considering adding a LDG AT-1000ProII to my remotehams station. Anybody have experience with this equipment in a remote environment? All comments appreciated. I will be using it with an Icom 7300 and an ALS600.

2. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

It will work fine with that rig/amp combo IF your antennas can be matched by it. I have used that tuner. It is a good product but auto tuners do not have the matching range of most good manual tuners. As an example, if you have a dipole for 75/80 meters that is cut for the low end (CW) of the band that tuner may not tune it up high in the phone portion of the band. And once the tuner cannot achieve a 2.5:1 (or better) SWR the ALS6

3. K8EA

N7WR, thanks for that. One of my concerns is that you must tune with exciter power only. For my remote application it is difficult to control that. But now as I type this out I am thinking that since the exciter (the Icom7300) tunes at low output the ALS600 will likely be less than 100w under tune conditions. That should work. I cannot find a pic of the back panel but I assume that only coax and 12vdc are necessary to make it function. No rig control cables, right?

4. K8EA

Just found a good YouTube on it here which seems to answer most questions

Regarding the "untunable" ranges, I think that may be a problem on 75/80 meters and possibly 40, but should not be a problem on the higher bands. I am restricting the TX ranges on my remote anyway to just a 100-200 kHz spectrum, so that shouldn't be a problem. And yes, the ALS600 should just go into fault mode with high reflected power. Your thoughts?

5. K8EA

Doing a deeper dive into this I think I like the MFJ998 intellituner. More expensive but looks like the price is worth it. Has anyone used it in a remote envioronment?