LB Cebik's website (W4RNL/SK)

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KE5FRF, Dec 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KE5FRF

KE5FRF Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey all.

If you didn't read the other thread I started about returning to the amateur community after a personal life "break", again I want to say hello and express my excitement about getting a little shack set back up in the near future.

But this post is about the passing of W4RNL. I let mt ARRL membership slide and never saw his callsign in the Silent Key QST pages. I certainly hope QST took pause to recognize him and his contributions above and beyond the SK list!

At any rate, his website was, and still is, much appreciated by this ham for all that I learned from it about propogation, feedlines, and antenna theory. It was a couple of months back that I thought to visit the site, in anticipation of getting a new antenna up, and learned of his passing.

I had mixed feelings about the current state of his articles. Evidently a (commerical entity?) is administrating the site and a registration procedure was required to gain access. I am certainly glad that the site is being maintained by whomever! It is a treasure and a resource. And there is no fee for the basic access to his series of articles so this is good. Having someone maintain his work in itself is a tribute to his positive impact on our hobby.

But I wonder how it came to be passed on in this manner? Was it part of an estate sale, or a Will? Was there an affiliation beforehand that wasn't evident, i.e. a part ownership?

Not that it matters. As I said, it was just a little of a shock to hear of his passing in the first place. He is from my native Knoxville, TN and I had the pleasure of corresponding with him on a few occasions through e-mail about antenna theory. While there was no personal relationship here, I felt his eagerness to share, even through e-mail, defined him as a ham's ham and the ideal of an "Elmer". His annecdotes were entertaining and he had a layman's way of making complex concepts easy to grasp.

He'll be missed by this ham who considers himself a "fan".

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Everyone liked LB, he was a selfless icon who spent thousands of hours passing on his knowledge to the community. His original series of articles in QST describing how to use EZNEC is what spurred my interest in buying that software and learning to use it.

3. AE1PT

AE1PT Ham Member QRZ Page

As I understand it from the locals (as he lived here in Knoxville) Cebik was in business with Jack Stone, and the associated antennaX publication. On RNL's death, Stone began a transformation of the site--to gain compensation from the content, and to limit massive free downloading.

They are now selling collections of the content. From all outward appearances, this is something that Cebik foresaw--and was comfortable with. The association was there long before his death.

4. KI4ITV

KI4ITV Ham Member QRZ Page

Welcome back Heath, nice to see you getting back into AR again!

5. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Cebik's site was supported by a commercial entity, and L.B. wanted to keep HIS offerings free to the public, although Antennex still held rights to his publications (I believe.) With his passing, they were able to do as they wish, and although there's a registration required now, it's not too offensive; I'd say I get one commercial ad via e-mail per month. That's not too objectionable.
    The sad part was that both W4RNL and AC6V passed away within weeks of each other; AC6V's family has said they will continue to provide his site for the foreseeable future, but (obviously,) there will be no additions to it's content.

6. AB8XA

AB8XA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I could be wrong, but it was my impression that Antennex sponsored web publication of W4RNL's work before his passing, and continues to do so, albeit a bit differently afterwards. For both, I am grateful.

7. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

I did register on the W4RNL website sometime after his death. I received a notice a few months later indicating I was no longer registered, I guess I didn't buy anything!

8. W6VPS

W6VPS Ham Member QRZ Page

No this is merely the clunky way the operation runs the registration. It is good for a few months and then must be renewed.

Paul/W6VPS

9. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Not required to buy anything. I got the same e-mail, and a day or two later another e-mail saying it was not intended or applicable to the free CEBIK site users. I still get occasional e-mails (yes, they are basically advertisements as well as notifications) but only once a month at most. I can tolerate that.

10. N4AUD

N4AUD Ham Member QRZ Page

Welcome back Heath!

Cebik has been a great resource for me and helped my understanding of antennas. I'm glad his work didn't pass away with his death.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.