Latitude and Longitude incorrect.

Discussion in 'Community Help Center' started by KA4CDN, Dec 16, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KA4CDN

KA4CDN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Why is the Map Pin in the wrong location? It is close, within miles, but not at the correct address. It looks like the map is placing the marker pin at the Latitude and Longitude spot which is incorrect. Where does Latitude and Longitude data come from?

Mike / KA4CDN
    PS - I embarrassed myself pretty hugely when I introduced myself to a guy a couple of blocks away as "Mike, KA4CDN". Got a blank stare. Told him I was a fellow "HAM". Stare changed slightly and not in a good way. I apologized and backed away!

2. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You can set literal map coordinates or you can intentionally select somewhat vague coordinates if you'd prefer not to tell the world exactly where your home and gear are.

You make those changes by going to your QRZ page and then use the pull down menu under your call sign to Edit your page. In the edit menu there's a selection for Map, Grid Square and Coordinate settings, that's where you go to check or change your map coordinates. There's a pull down menu above the map that allows you to choose not to show any map coordinates at all, to show actual coordinates with a map pointer or to show approximate coordinates.

JA6XZS likes this.
  3. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you don't use your own co-ordinates and your address doesn't exist in the whatever database it will default to the center of your county in the US.
    For foreign hams it will sometimes default to the center of the country! This can make a BIG difference. One very active ham in China is in a desirable Zone but the default throws him into another zone.
    Manually enter your own lat/long if you want it to be correct.

JA6XZS likes this.
  4. N4TZ

N4TZ Ham Member QRZ Page

5. N4TZ

N4TZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Why/When did the QTH lat/long of my QTH get deleted and replaced with zip code locator???

6. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

@N4TZ when I look up your address in Mapquest it looks to be the same as QRZ details, roughly halfway between the golf course & I-69. Guess I don't understand your question.