Latest Chinese Counters

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by K9STH, Aug 21, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

Just a little while ago, the box with the 3-Chinese counters that I had ordered arrived. For each of these counters, I paid $12.00 each including shipping and handling. I have not actually tried one out as of this writing, but I suspect that the performance will be similar to the 2-counters that I got several months ago.

The photograph, in the advertisement, showed the counters installed in a clear plastic housing. Well, there were plastic housings that came with the counters. However, one has to assemble these housings and there are no instructions that come with the assemblies. It was not hard to "figure out" where each part, of the housing, goes. But, every plastic piece is "protected" by a brown paper adhered to each side. Getting that paper off the pieces was definitely a "pain in the posterior"!

Push-buttons, for the 2-programming switches are included as are the miniature machine screws that hold the assembly together.

The 2-previous counters would "light up" using a 9-volt battery for the power supply. However, in actual use, the counters were "flaky" until 12 VDC was applied. I did use a 9-volt battery to show how the unit "looks" when it is in the plastic housing.

Attached are photos showing the housing "kit" parts and one of the completed units.

new counter-1.JPG

new counter-2.JPG

Glen, K9STH

AF6LJ likes this.
  2. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know any Chinese to count.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

WB5THT, WA7PRC and AF6LJ like this.
  3. K9STH

ERV:

I know several including my best man when I got married over 52-years ago, Doug Chou!

Glen, K9STH

4. K8ERV

Have you forgiven him yet?

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

WA7PRC likes this.
  5. K9STH

ERV:

Unfortunately, he died quite a while back. I never did have the chance to forgive him!

wedding photo-1.jpeg
    The photo has faded in the over 52-years since it was taken!

Glen, K9STH

N6QIC and W6ELH like this.
  6. K8ERV

So have you.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

WA7PRC likes this.
  7. K5DH

K5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

Everyone in that photo looks happy, except the groom... he looks terrified!

8. K8ERV

Don't you mean Terrible?

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

WA7PRC likes this.
  9. WN6U

WN6U Subscriber QRZ Page

Chinese counter...
    upload_2017-8-22_6-54-52.jpeg
    ;)

KF5FEI and WA7PRC like this.
  10. K9STH

Actually, all of the men in the photo, except for my brother-in-law, on the left end (he gave the bride away, my wife's father died when she was 9-years old), and the preacher, who is standing behind the bride and groom, were waiting for the throwing of the garter (which one of my wife's nephews caught) and, especially, for the throwing of my "little black book" (it actually was blue), in which the names, addresses, and telephone numbers, of quite a few very desirable women, were listed.

My wife insisted that the book be thrown! Steve Geddes, on the right end of the photo, was the one who finally got the book, elbowing out over 20 of my fraternity brothers (both social and military) who were hoping to get it. Steve was one of my military fraternity brothers (Pershing Rifles) and not one of my social fraternity brothers (Phi Kappa Sigma).

Glen, K9STH