Latest ARRL Emcomm Subterfuge

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W6EM, Jul 24, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

One day all those Go Kits built will do us much good outside the of Green Vest and Hard Hat original idea for them ... probably from the home/ranch and a battery

2. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Many of whom naively pay $49/year for the privilege of reading the MFJ ad filled magazine showing the cool go-box pictures.

K4PIH, WR3V and (deleted member) like this.
  3. N6PAT

N6PAT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I always wondered just where the Go Kit owners are planning on going to? Running away from commie hordes coming over the hill perhaps?

It reminds me of all the Y2K wackos that spent thousands of dollars on dehydrated food and underground bunkers because the world was going to end at the stroke of midnight.

KA4DPO and (deleted member) like this.
  4. W9YW

W9YW Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

It attracts and fulfills the Boy/Girl Scout ideal.

In reality, I'm making a few of them work for an upcoming ARES event, support of the Hilly Hundred Bike Ride in October. My goal: three Go-Kits that are APRS boxes, pre-programmed.

Why? It's what I do. Will those other Go Kit buyers survive the (pick a variant) apocalypse? Maybe. But like that extra boat, it's an individual decision.

K8XG and (deleted member) like this.
  5. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

Copied from the Zed Home Page link:

Board Creates Emergency Communications and Field Services Committee

At its just-concluded July 2021 meeting, the ARRL Board of Directors approved By-Law changes creating a third Standing Committee that joins the existing Administration and Finance Committee and Programs and Services Committee. The charter of the new Emergency Communications and Field Services Committee (EC-FSC) is to develop and recommend new or modified Board policy and programs for emergency communications through the Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES®) and National Traffic System™ (NTS™) entities.

The committee also will offer enhanced support for its Field Organization leadership volunteers, including Section Managers, and an increased focus on ARRL-Affiliated Clubs.

Further, the EC-FSC will provide guidance to the CEO in translating Board policy into prioritized tasking, funding, and staffing of programs, services, and training in support of amateur radio emergency communications, Field Organization volunteers, and recruitment and retention of new and existing members through assistance to Affiliated and Special Service Clubs.

The EC-FSC will have the additional responsibility of monitoring and assessing trends in emergency communications technology and participant skills worldwide, and for identifying “best practices” for voluntary emergency communications provided by ARES and NTS, coordinating and cooperating with other amateur radio national societies as appropriate. — Thanks to
    The ARES Letter

Fact No. 2 will be publicized shortly, with some excuse, I suppose, as usual, like "to pursue other interests," or "due to family commitments."

KA4DPO likes this.
  6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

But what kind of response, exactly?

A response might be like one from many large organizations or elected politicos, where the response is "Thank you for your letter..." and go on for a few paragraphs about how important it is for constituents to write in...and then that's pretty much the end of it unless what is sent is a petition with several thousand signatures.

I must admit that "in the old days" (only about ten years ago), I did write an e-mail to my Division Director, who I know personally anyway. It was about establishing a new "Q" signal (for CW). Dick evidently didn't know how to answer that one, so he forwarded it to HQ. The reply I received about two weeks later came from Dave Sumner, K1ZZ, reminding me that ARRL has no influence on "Q" signals, they're all governed by the ITU since they're international.

Yeah, that's true. But we have several of them that no one uses, so maybe kill one off to create a new definition and promote that. The signal I wish existed was something like "Thanks for calling, but this isn't my frequency."

We can send "UP 2" or "UP 5" or all sorts of things, but that doesn't actually address the problem. There still isn't a Q signal for "this was someone else's run frequency, look for me later" or similar. Seems a valid reason for a Q signal, but there isn't one and probably won't be. "QRL" doesn't actually address this.

But at least Sumner took time to specifically address my inquiry, and it really only took two weeks for my mail to be routed around and answered.

Then, Dave was/is an active DXer/contester/CW op and many others up there aren't.

7. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

I feel the same way and I'll offer another suggestion other than the "vote with your wallet." Obviously, one doesn't have to be a member of the league if they're unhappy with the way things are done. The one thing I don't see is anyone stepping up to form a new association in support of amateur radio. Why not? The NRA isn't the only organization supporting firearms owners. Why shouldn't ham radio have more than one?

8. K8XG

I have 2 APRS ready Tac-Comm kits, V71s with a Rasp Pi and TNC for deployable APRS Digi on one side and full VHF/UHF comms on the other side; even if just deployed at home Hi HI

For those that do not know about Tac Comm boxes, they are very Kewl; https://tac-comm.com/

I can fit them inside MTM tree stand boxes with other gear housing an ft-891 and tuner strapped together, The MTM box makes a nice Seat as well after you remove your gear from it. I don't like the idea of 19" rack type boxes, I want my stuff modular

9. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Naah. They are running from the coming zombie apocalypse...:rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  10. K8XG

My FT-891/tuner Tac-Comm carry is deployed in the rear of my Tundra back area with the remote head on the console of the truck because the Lido Goose Neck mount is holding a FT-400XDR

If I want to go to a Pick-in-Eck-Basket {Yogi} table in a park; I can take the carrier out and use a 35 foot extension to keep using the Truck antenna or take out a easy to assemble small tripod my fabricator made me and put up a larger antenna

W9YW likes this.