ad: w5yi

Latest ARRL Emcomm Subterfuge

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W6EM, Jul 24, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
  1. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Best ARRL one-liner I've seen in a LONG while! You are to be congratulated, Sir! :)

K0IDT, W6EM and (deleted member) like this.
  2. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

And, we shouldn't forget to include online banking, insurance quotes, stock buys and sells, and hot pants exchanges. :)

1 person likes this.
  3. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Methinks you mean, "it's not 'correct' to criticize the League." :)
    Be sure you get on the correct-side of "correct," eh? Or, you could be cancelled. :D

4. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

"Typically this term refers to a rhetorical strategy where the speaker attacks the character, motive, or some other attribute of the person making an argument rather than attacking the substance of the argument itself." - Wiki
    A rather common definition to address your statement. Clearly, an attack on my character in a very obvious fashion. Revisit WN's original post if you care to.

AD7SK likes this.
  5. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Shirley, you jest!

I know ... I know!

I won't call you that anymore!

Besides, as of 2019, there were 395,562 cell sites in the United States. As of today, given the advent and outright requirement for scads of 5G micro-cell sites to be located throughout the nation, that overall number is shooting up in dramatic fashion! Unless you live miles upon miles from the nearest road (civilization), wireless network coverage exists today. And, it's usually offered by 2 or more wireless carriers. :)

https://www.statista.com/statistics...l-sites-in-the-united-states-since-june-1986/

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    K0IDT and (deleted member) like this.
  6. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Besides obvious fact, please don't confuse other hams with commonly-held and understood definitions.

Good grief! ;):D

1 person likes this.
  7. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

The July 22nd ARRL Letter item on the new Standing Committee is the same information currently shown on the ARRL website.
    https://www.arrl.org/news/arrl-boar...y-communications-and-field-services-committee

Doesn't state anything about the DEM position. Explicitly does not state that the position is supplanted by the Standing Committee.

Also doesn't say anything about KE5ZW resigning his position... which, if it is true, may or may not have anything to do with the Standing Committee being formed; for that matter, IF it is true (and since as of this writing it hasn't been officially announced yet, remains speculation, NOT fact) the decision to form the Standing Committee may have been to cover the responsibilities until a new DEM was appointed.

Or, perhaps it is the case that the job may have been more than one single person could be responsible for, which is what led to the (so far alleged) resignation and the Standing Committee.

No, so far, the only facts in evidence is that a Standing Committee is being formed.

And let's be clear on one other small point... the announcement is that a STANDING, ie permanent, Committee is being formed. The choice of wording implies that an ad-hoc Committee ALREADY existed, and that the Board, after reviewing the work of the Committee, decided to make it a permanent one rather than an ad-hoc one. In which case, this is much ado about nothing.

For that matter, nothing is said in the announcement of how the Committee is being structured. One could speculate that the DEM position, whomever fills it, will CHAIR (ie RUN and/or DIRECT) the operations of the Committee. In which case, it makes one wonder why this would directly lead to the resignation of KE5ZW.

Are the last two points pure speculation? Absolutely! I'm not claiming them to be factual, merely plausible... and just as speculative as your assertions, based solely on what little actual evidence actually is out there at the moment.

Oh, and if memory serves, and I will have to check my email to confirm, but I believe the possibility of this happening was covered in the bullet-points, the meeting agenda, that was sent out about a week or so prior to the meeting... you did sign up for them, didn't you? In which case, the situation is hardly "out of the blue."

N0TZU likes this.
  8. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

The most recent issue, that was e-mailed to me on July 22, didn't contain that information.

9. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Obviously, EM knows much you do not.

You need to start a premature ARRL funeral committee. Insist on a League upstart as well.

Given their self-preservation propensity, they'll likely take you up on it, and give you a decent semi-retirement job as well. You could afford another late-model Omni VII! ;):p:cool:

Gosh, I hope TenTec makes it back from thee Abyss! Hope springs eternal!

10. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

" support both a director and a committee to create the appearance of an imaginary function."

But think of the good that the ARRL is doing for businesses that produce Amateur gear and accessories. Think of the thousands of Hams out there ( that rarely grace the airwaves )
    that build expensive " Go Kits" that they will never use for a service that is rarely, if ever, needed.

AE0Q and (deleted member) like this.