Latest ARRL Emcomm Subterfuge

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W6EM, Jul 24, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
  1. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There have been recent attempts to drag the EMCOMM and NTS hordes into the 21st century, and the results have been costly disasters. These people are a big part of the core of
    ARRL now, but they are highly resistant to change, at least to the kind of change that higher ARES management wanted to see. Their new system for registering and tracking ARES
    members, and letting them self-assign to help with ARES public service events was really quite a good effort. But along with that, they imposed a set of training requirements that I
    knew would never fly, and I was right.

I think we need an honest reassessment of the capabilities of hams and how to engage them in both public service and EMCOMM events. What does it mean that we now have
    several reliable satellite systems in place that can provide comms anywhere at any time? I sincerely wish we had a geostationary sat covering the Americas, but we don't. Perhaps
    it would be more productive to focus on individual contributions and training. I fear that we are otherwise just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

KG7LEA, W6EM, AI7PM and 2 others like this.
  2. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Now the proponents of this sputtering thread can down-shift into the usual lowest common denominator theme, an anti-WINLINK rant. :p (Yawn)

3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Gosh, I must be REALLY out of touch. I knew the League was EVIL; that's what I read on the Zed, anyhow, but they're now INDEFENSIBLE as well? :D

W0FS, N3AWS and AD5HR like this.
  4. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Glad to help 'rectify' that (pun intended)

5. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Winlink? How did that get into a thread about emcomm? I wasn't aware that Winlink was actually used for emcomm beyond requesting ice cream, sending the obligatory photo op back to disaster central for publication in QST,
    or submitting a carryout order at Dunkin' Donuts.....cellphone is quicker and more portable.

NL7W, W6EM and (deleted member) like this.
  6. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Is it ok to talk about the ARRL above 40 meters? Or is that ban only for talking about aches and pains?

N1VAU, K4PIH, W4KYR and 2 others like this.
  7. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Spot on.

The training material has been out there for years. Field proven, collected and vetted best practices, NIMS/ICS, and more. Were these embraced by the league? No. Seems to me the league only valued an internally recreated wheel, which end state further illustrated their disfunction and disregard for legitimate, already professionally field proven methods. Yes, rearranged chairs.

The strongest ham related units I've witnessed or participated in/with, have trained themselves to higher standards and capabilities than ARES, some eventually dropping the ARES name for something more appropriately describing their purpose, affiliations, and abilities.

Call it bashing if some will, and an honest, objective assessment of the league in this area will show the bashing well earned.

1 person likes this.
  8. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Believe me, you don't understand what an ad-hominem personal attack is, or you wouldn't say that kind of misinformation.

9. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

10. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

This week's ARRL Letter contains fact No. 1. Fact No. 2, KE5ZR's resignation is effective August 1st, and will be advertised shortly.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021