Latest ARRL Emcomm Subterfuge

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W6EM, Jul 24, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What would the Zed be without occasional testimonials to the depredations of the <CHOKE! GASP! GOOD LORD!> EVIL ARRL? :rolleyes:

W0FS and WG7X like this.
  2. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Hypocrisy 101 lesson - Same old characters defending the indefensible ARRL.
    Apparently, it’s not okay to criticize the League but it’s fine to criticize those who do.

NL7W, K0IDT and (deleted member) like this.
  3. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

I haven't seen moderators pull the thread, so it seems to reason that it is just fine to criticize the ARRL. When someone does, they should expect to hear from people that disagree. If that disagreement makes people uncomfortable, they're in the wrong place.

WD4IGX, W0FS, WA1GXC and 4 others like this.
  4. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Presuming facts not in evidence. Gotcha.

5. K1VSK

Quite correct. My only point being those who can’t seem to tolerate any ARRL criticism resorting to “bashing’ them for ‘bashing’ the League.

N3AWS likes this.
  6. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

The title of this forum is Ham Radio Discussions—every discussion I have ever witnessed has had AT LEAST two sides…

W0FS, WA1GXC, WZ7U and 1 other person like this.
  7. W9YW

W9YW Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

It's my observation that democracy is messy but necessary. The ARRL, in my personal opinion, is made of many people who try hard to handle a vast, wide, and deep diversity in interests as volunteers. The corporate/paid staff have to manage these diverse interests, coming from an equally vast, wide, deep, and highly opinionated group of very smart people. Rough and intense job. Most of the time, they keep things in order but it's at the local levels where things get done. Leadership isn't easy.

The only way you make the ARRL better is by consistently and professionally lending your advocacy and considered criticism, IMHO.

Volunteers are motivated by many things, each differently. I do a lot of volunteer work; I'm not a power-mad ego-centric. Instead, it's more like janitorial work. The devil is in the details and follow-through.

It's pretty humbling. With so much these days fueled by anger and pique, it's no wonder that good potential volunteers are driven away.

As a reflection of its members, the ARRL will never be perfect as its members aren't perfect either. The volunteers that make any good organization work need advocacy, not death by a thousand small cuts.

The ARRL needs constructive criticism, but more, they need professional energy and advocacy. Any good organization will fail without these two important ingredients, IMHO.

KK0SD, WA4KCN, W0FS and 11 others like this.
  8. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A year or two before retirement our company appointed a "Manager of Change" with a committee to back her up. It seemed that the reasoning was "change is good" and we all needed help realizing the "new good". Prior to the new regime one had to demonstrate improvement prior to making changes.

Demonstrations? We don't need no stinking demonstration!

WD4IGX likes this.
  9. K1VSK

And without being responsive to its members, an equally important ingredient, it fails to represent them.

10. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess I don't see the problem. Nothing underhanded going on. Nothing insidious going on. Just a Board of Directors doing what Board of Directors do.

This was not "out of the blue". It goes back to the minutes of the July 2020 (a year ago!) Board of Directors meeting (item 33). Note that this was before the DEC was appointed. There are also the EMDS Committee reports filed with the January and July 2021 Board meetings. All available online.

NM7TM, W3WN and N3AWS like this.