ad: GNOHF-1

Latest ARRL Emcomm Subterfuge

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W6EM, Jul 24, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

Welcome....to The Twighlight Zed.

W0FS, W4NNF, AI7PM and 1 other person like this.
  2. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

And, from a dues-paying magazine subscriber, no less. We await the latest gandapropa to explain it all in terms we all can understand..... And, the next round of glad-handing at the upcoming Huntsville Hamfest.

3. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Back in the 1980s, well before 9/11 which ultimately provided billions of dollars to public safety to enhance its emergency communications capability and thus rendered much of what is called "EMCOMM" unnecessary and irrelevant, the League created an Emergency Communications Advisory Committee (ECAC). I served as its first Chairperson. We met in person in DC and paraded around to visit various federal agencies. League "officials" (NOT ECAC members) used the opportunity to "sell" amateur radio but little of what they attempted to sell had anything to do with emergency communications. Frankly it was mostly optics and politics.

What the League quickly focused on was using "EMCOMM" as a recruitment tool and avenue for selling product which added to the League's coffers. In essence, "EMCOMM" was hijacked from its original, beneficial purpose for mostly economic gain for the ARRL. That, IMO, continues to be the real focus today. Yes, the League does provide some assistance, during some disasters through the loan of caches of equipment (donated by manufacturers I might add). But aside from that the League's focus is really optics rather than substance.

When I saw the hijacking I quit. I am a life member, paid for before all of what I just described occurred. My last position in the ARRL Field Organization was as a Section Manager. I will never again be active in League affairs of any kind other than to vote for SM and Division Director. What I saw in terms of abusing EMCOMM and the good hams who think they are making a difference is not consistent with my values. Flame away.

WD4IGX, KB9MWR, N0DZQ and 9 others like this.
  4. W5INC

W5INC Ham Member QRZ Page

Helps pay for the self promoting suits, that boast about "their" self worth, being at least 365 times greater then the paid Surfs, that work @ ARRL's HQ. The ARRL herd has plenty of blame in this debacle also. Allowing "fiefdoms" stay in place at the top of the ARRL for far too long. This allows personal agendas to float to the top of the tank, while the herd is asleep at the switch once again.

K0IDT, AI7PM and (deleted member) like this.
  5. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I just don't get it...

ARRL bashing seems to be a regular sport with some of you folks. I guess that I don't care enough to be so emotionally involved with the national club. They have done enough in the past to garner my support with a membership, but that's all. I don't have enough time or energy to get involved in club politics. Nor will I indulge in that sport here.

ARRL is the one and only national club that represents us to the government. As long as they do that one function, I'll keep supporting them.

Most clubs have one major function: repeater clubs, DX clubs, Field day clubs, social clubs. You name it, there's probably a club to join that supports your particular niche. Find that club and support it either with money or by doing something that helps the club do whatever it is supposed to do. If the club does not do what you think it should do, you have options: quit, vote the rascals out, or become part of the management yourself.

One thing you should not do is to complain loudly in public about whatever is upsetting you and expecting that alone to cure the "problem". If you do that then you are the problem, not the organization.

So... Back to the ARRL. What have they done for me lately? Possibly their recent negotiations with the FCC to lower the anticipated licensing fees? That is what they are supposed to do and they have done it. As long as they keep doing that kind of stuff, they're OK by me.

Yeah, they have screwed up royally with this emcomm crap. Maybe they'll grow out of it someday, maybe not. If that ever becomes the major focus... Well like one other ham said: "Vote with your wallet..."

NG2J, W0FS, W4CDO and 7 others like this.
  6. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

With all due respect, your credibility is hovering around 0%, and has been for years.

You think I’ve forgotten how you insisted, back when PA Act 88 was passed, that it would be a complete disaster for hams, because you knew state law better than... wait for it... the lawyer (and ham) who helped in writing the legislation?

Your opinions are not facts. Neither are your extrapolations based on little to no evidence.

KS4W and W4NNF like this.
  7. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

Other than my sarcasm, what I said was factual. As told to me by an ARRL official who I won't name here. I'll let the moderators decide if what you just posted is an ad-hominem personal attack.

NL7W and N3AWS like this.
  8. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

What has the ARRL ever done for us?

The aqueduct.

Code:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSELOCMmw4A&t=51s
    Because you apparently can't specify a time start on embedded media??

W3SY likes this.
  9. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

It is natural for any organization over time to ignore it's original mission and instead work most to protect themselves. The ARRL succumbed to this a long time ago. Wayne Green warned us about decades in the past.

The ARRL will never risk itself to do great things. It will plod along looking for new suckers instead. This is Human Nature. To deny it is just to deny human nature. All clans operate the same way.

Same in Human Nature some would rather die than admit they were wrong. They will wave their flag until it becomes so obvious that self protection has failed. Then they will wave the most popular flag that's in reach of safety.

N1VAU, K1OIK, WD4IGX and 4 others like this.
  10. W2TXB

W2TXB Ham Member QRZ Page

Come on, man... committees are fun. ;)

Where I worked prior to retirement, there were all sorts of committees; the most fun was the "Policies and Procedures committee", charged with reviewing and updating same. On several occasions, I pointed out various errors in spelling, context, and composition (thank you, Miss Rose M. Kingston). Many in attendance appeared rather puzzled by this.

They had so many committees they were running out of meeting rooms (and we had several). They decided to limit all committee meetings to one hour each, allowing more committees to meet more often.

NL7W, AI7PM and (deleted member) like this.