ad: Bamatech-1

Latest ARRL Emcomm Subterfuge

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W6EM, Jul 24, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

Let's see. Less than six months ago, the League introduced a new position, "Director of Emergency Management." And, it was filled by Paul Gilbert, KE5ZW, who had an impressive background, equipping him well to fill the position.

Now, out of the blue in the July 22nd ARRL Letter, Newington announced a new Emcomm and Field Services Committee, charged with what sounded like what its new DEM had for responsibilities: to oversee ARES and the NTS. And, I hear now that the new DEM will be leaving and soon.

If I were him, I'd leave too. Create a new position, likely with some remuneration, yet a few months later, replace your duties with a committee. Or, worse yet, the committee is charged with telling the DEM what he will or won't do.

Sounds like a wide-bandwidth W1AW broadcast to all amateurs: The League can't be trusted. Send us invitations to join or volunteer, yet demonstrate some really poor and perhaps unfair leadership.

Just my two cents as a disgruntled member.

KI4ZUQ, NK2U, KM1H and 4 others like this.
  2. WR3V

WR3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Vote with your wallet.

NG0L, NK2U, VE3FI and 4 others like this.
  3. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I suppose it's possible that there's some kind of huge conspiracy.

But there are a number of committees, usually made up of members, to provide guidance to the board on particular subject areas. I'm not sure about this one, but there's often one member from each division. They're not paid, and I'm guessing their time commitment is a few hours per month.

There are also paid staff members who are responsible for day to day activities. They get a salary, and their time commitment is 40+ hours a week.

It seems to me that having both is a good idea. You pay people to do the actual work, but you also have volunteer members and a volunteer board setting policy. Most of the ARRL's problems in the last few years has been too much reliance on having paid staff set policy. So while I don't know anything about this particular example, it seems to me that creating an additional member committee isn't a bad idea.

KC2IEB likes this.
  4. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

I’m not surprised to see my dues going to support both a director and a committee to create the appearance of an imaginary function.

NK2U, W1BR, WD4IGX and 9 others like this.
  5. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

No conspiracy, no coincidence, just corrupt League politics on full display. Not an ARRL bash, it's a fact. For those who care to dig into a little past history the games and corruption are obvious.

KI4ZUQ, NK2U, W1JAC and 7 others like this.
  6. N0NB

N0NB Ham Member QRZ Page

What does ARRL have to do with NTS? NTS was taken over by an independent group some years ago and is operated independently of Newington, as I understand it. Or do they simply have the hubris to think they're running it when they're not actually?

W4NNF and KX4O like this.
  7. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Now, now. No disrupting a good anti-ARRL rant from The Usual Suspects with the facts and truth.

AI5DD, KC2IEB, KJ7OES and 6 others like this.
  8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

When all else fails...there's your cellphone.

NK2U, W5ESE, K1OIK and 1 other person like this.
  9. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

When all else fails...... there's beer.

KY4GD, WS4JM, KA4DPO and 10 others like this.
  10. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

When logic fails, there is QRZ

AI5DD, KY4GD, AE8W and 12 others like this.