Latency question / survey

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by DK7OB, Nov 7, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

that's why I like Linux better than Windows. At the moment I'm tweaking an installation of GQRX on Sci-Linux to run my SDRplay. Once it's done, I'll probably put the WIN7 machine back into mothballs.

2. DK7OB

DK7OB Ham Member QRZ Page

Is Sci-Linux the same as Scientific Linux (a Red Hat Enterprise clone)? We were using it in the company for some time, but later moved to CentOS (another Red Hat clone).

Are you building from source? If yes, are you using the SoapySDR driver? In this case I can offer you my heavily modified and SDRPlay RSP1A optimized gqrx code with improved remote control, absolute signal levels in spectrum (and calibrated S meter), auto adjusting water fall, and various other modifications for better amateur radio support.

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

FYI.

There is no Red Hat clone.

That is one thing good about it and why it is trusted and used by many White Hats. :)

4. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

yes, it is officially Scientific Linux.... a modified Red Hat distro.
    The plan was to use the v3 SDRplay drivers with GQRX... modified similar to what you are apparently running. Unfortunately, I started my project on a Ubuntu machine, and have run into driver compatibility problems.

5. KD8TUT

KD8TUT Ham Member QRZ Page

That's incorrect information depending on how you define "clone".

CentOS is binary compatible with Redhat, uses the same tool chain, and is openly supported by Redhat.

Essentially, it's the same compiled source code with the branding stripped out.

Is that a clone? To me- it's a clone.

6. WD5HHH

WD5HHH Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  7. K0OKS

K0OKS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I would also try adjusting the scheduling of all processes involved (nice or renice the process as root in Linux lets you go to negative priorities (which are higher priority), or use the Task Manager to set the process priority in Windows). You can often effect quite a change doing this.

Windows NT/XP would let you completely starve lower priority processes/threads, which was actually very nice. Later version of Windows always seem to work the lower priority processes into the scheduler some anyway. I haven’t tested it on recent Linux kernels, but I know various schedulers are options on Linux either at kernel compile time, or boot time.