ad: InfoStat-1

Late Night TV Host

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by KO0N, Sep 27, 2009.

?

Best Late-Nite Host/Show

1. The Late Show with David Letterman

25 vote(s)
    25.3%
  2. The Tonight Show with Jay Leno

26 vote(s)
    26.3%
  3. ABC Nightline

7 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. My Significant Other / Better Half

41 vote(s)
    41.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KO0N

KO0N Ham Member QRZ Page

When I was a kid, I would sneak out of bed to watch "The Tonight Show" after my folks put me down for the night. I remember Jack Parr and Steve Allan as host but, for 30 years, Johnny Carson was the King Of Late-Nite TV and then he retired.

There was a brief tussle for the job but, it went to Jay Leno over David Letterman; rival network CBS spun off a new Late Show with David Letterman.

So now you have two competing Late-Nite talk shows, both with the same guests the only real difference was the host of the shows. Jay Leno started out as a Comedian while David Letterman's career stared in broadcasting as a reporter.

Jay Leno's format was based around his comedic strong points and he used a lot of "Sight Gags" and "funny" personal attacks/man-on-the-street skits. David Letterman's st-hick is based more on cerebral wit, biting humor, double entendres and slapstick mugging (ala Bill Cosby).

After Leno's "retirement" from The Tonight Show (he was tired of getting trounced by Dave in the ratings) was announced his brand of humor sunk to new lows in Jay's search to get laughs. Classless.

Even more crass, (How's come he couldn't just retire with class like Johnny Carson ?) not being able to compete with Letterman, he trying to capture a share of earlier viewing audience. Dave's still going strong in his time slot against the Geeky-looking guy with the red Pompadour hair do.

Leno or Letterman, which one turned your crank?

2. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

To me 8pm is late night, so I get to miss all them guys. But I get up by 4am, nice and quiet.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

3. W4SUL

W4SUL Ham Member QRZ Page

I too am sawing logs by 8pm. And I don't watch TV anyway, so there's lots of free time to do more useful things like offer attention to the wife, and wake up to work morning grey line!

4. KO0N

KO0N Ham Member QRZ Page

Did This Make The Radar Yet?

Robert Joe Halderman, '48 Hours' producer in Letterman extortion plot, on the hook for child support

The top CBS News producer busted for trying to shake down David Letterman was paying thousands of dollars in alimony and child support after his ex-wife took him to the cleaners.

Read more: Link

Are you fellows going to bed so early that you missed this little tidbit?

Big time married TV host is busted having sex with his female employees and he then becomes the target for extortion by another important TV person; I wonder if either of them were ever CB'ers?

5. AG3Y

AG3Y Guest

I really miss Steve Allen. He had some real gems, but unfortunately, I believe that most of the tape was re-used or lost in some other way.

We didn't know what we had, til it was gone !

6. AE1PT

AE1PT Ham Member QRZ Page

My grandmother was addicted to Jack Paar, Allen's successor. While she got used to "that Carson guy" it was never the same.

I went through a period that Johnny was an almost nightly event. But, I sold the TV shop and went nearly 5 years before I would even look at TV again...:p

My 94YO mother in law watches these shows--and when she FLIES DOWN FROM NY to visit us, I get exposed to them also. Absolute garbage--just what she says about O'Brian--who has replaced her beloved Leno. But seeing as NBC has gone cheap and brought him back at 10PM, it will all be alright.

7. W4RLR

W4RLR Ham Member QRZ Page

One of my favorites was Steve Allen making a phone call live and not getting who he thought he was dialing:

"Big A Cleaners!" said the voice on the other end of the phone.
    Without missing a beat, Allen says "Big A Cleaners? How much will you charge me to clean my big A?"

8. W5JO

W5JO Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure where you were seeing ratings like you mention, the last ones I saw had Leno much above Letterman. The ratings are the main reason NBC moved Leno to 10 PM EST to draw audience from ABC and CBS. Not sure it is going to work because his show is much like the late show.

Letterman is a dope, and Leno isn't much better but some. Give me the old guys who did vaudeville, like George Burns, Groucho Marx, Sammy Davis, Jr. and Phyllis Diller.

9. AC4BB

AC4BB Ham Member QRZ Page

There is no "Tonight Show" with Jay Leno, anymore. It's called the "Jay Leno, Show now. The Tonight show is Conan O'Brien'"Brief Gag":mad::mad::mad::mad:

10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I appreciate the talents of all of them. O'Brien is so tall and goofy, but he's very, very smart and was a comedy writer for most of the greats for many years before he was ever on camera. I like Leno and Letterman, but Carson was supreme; he was like Lon Chaney, the man of a thousand faces. I remember Steve Allen and Jack Paar but those old shows were dull (black & white, not much in the way of frills of any sort) and didn't showcase the hosts' talents nearly as well as the modern productions do. Still, they did "pave the way."

I equate Allen and Paar to the "I Love Lucy" show: They had to get by on pure talent and timing, because the sets did nothing for them at all.

WB2WIK/6

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.