ad: Alphaant-1

Late Night G90 Contacts!!!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KD9LFZ, Aug 28, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N6RWC

N6RWC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

niche. Don't forget the 7300! DE KN6GZE Yung Ham

2. WY7BG

WY7BG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The G90 is a nice little radio; I've had a lot of fun working FT8 with it. (I've created an Omnirig configuration for it that makes it easy to use with WSJT-X.) For SSB, though, I prefer more output power.

3. M0OXD

M0OXD Ham Member QRZ Page

Is that a power supply in front of the Xiegu?

4. N2NOW

N2NOW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

nice video, nice little radio.
    its on that list for Santa.;)

5. KC3PBI

KC3PBI Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, it's driving the Xiegu. I'm not sure I'll stick with it- fine for most operations but the voltage sag is deeper than I would prefer when I run the radio at full power.

It's a random $19 adjustable regulator I found on Amazon that drops the 40vdc from my leaf blower batteries to 13.8 for the radio, and a second tap and regulator delivers 7.4v to my 2m rig (not pictured)

I was previously using a golf cart voltage dropper. That unit was not adjustable, it dropped the voltage to 11.9 but it was rock steady with no sag at full output. Still works great, moved it to other duties in the shack.

I already had a few of these outdoor power tool batteries in circulation for the lawnmower & leafblower etc., now they have one more job around the house.

KM9G likes this.
  6. N5EAL

N5EAL Ham Member QRZ Page

Great video, Leah! Looks like a great little radio.
    I'll listen for you on the freqs. And check the spotters for you.
    "Armed and dangerous!"...I like that
    Neal/N5EAL

7. W2ACY

W2ACY Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi...I have had mine a weeks now and really like it, their are so many features packed in it. Made many contacts so far on SSB and FT8. Using it more often than my FTdx-1200. My antenna is a Hustler 4btv on my metal house roof. 73 and have fun. W2ACY

KC6ESW and KC3PBI like this.
  8. KC6ESW

KC6ESW Ham Member QRZ Page

Love this! Great radio! QRP is a blast as well. Really enjoying my FT-818 and have made some great contacts on 10 meters. Now time to upgrade!

73’s
    Mike
    KC6ESW

9. EA3IGB

EA3IGB Ham Member QRZ Page

10. W4FID

W4FID XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You are a breath of fresh air. Enjoy your enthusiasm. In these days of so many having so many concerns it's wonderful too see a young person who enjoys life and has something going that she is good at and has fun with. Keep on keeping on. I was your age when I was first licensed -- 59+ years ago -- and ham radio has been a part of life every day since. Hope it will be for you too.

G3SEA, KC6ESW and 2E0TWD like this.
  11. WZ6P

WZ6P XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Awesome, Leah!
    It's super cool to see your enthusiasm for HF and the new rig!
    Go get that Extra!!!
    Ken - WZ6P

12. N9JCQ

N9JCQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Leah, you are a Youtube natural! I hope to hear you on 40M soon. I love that band. Both local and DX and I am using 100 watts and a vertical here in suburban Chicago. Best 73!

13. KC6ESW

KC6ESW Ham Member QRZ Page

So is the G90 really that good and do you ever work QRP?

73’
    Mike
    KC6ESW

14. KD2LFG

KD2LFG Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats on the new G90! It is a great little radio, even better when you take it portable. Get yourself a nice battery and a good EF wire antenna and take that baby on the road. Its a nice next level fun factor. BTW, the G90 works digital modes just fine. You just need the right interface cable and software. 73s IU3JNT

G3SEA likes this.
  15. KD2TTM

KD2TTM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank goodness she's a personable young lady, not a middle-aged guy; otherwise there would be nothing but disdain about owning a Chinese radio... ;)

N8PEM, KC6ESW, G3SEA and 2 others like this.