ad: QSLWorks-1

Last POTA Activation, Fairfield State Park

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KG5AHJ, Mar 3, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KG5AHJ

KG5AHJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Today visit Fairfield State Park on this last weekend being opened to the public. I attempt at build an Antenna and FAIL, then active the park for the Last on 10 and 17 Meters. I am sorry for the audio issues at the end of the video. I didn't know about the feedback title editing. Its interesting, its only happening on 10M, 20M and 40M with that mic set is fine.

Frank L.

KN6ZEP, WD5ACR, K0BZ and 13 others like this.
  2. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Was the antenna an EFHW?! :D

K4GDJ, K3RW and KG5AHJ like this.
  3. W1FBV

W1FBV Ham Member QRZ Page

Losing a state part = sad

KG5AHJ likes this.
  4. N2ARK

N2ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

Great video. Love the battery case. Did you make that? Or a kit? Super cool.

5. WM5L

WM5L XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Why they closing the Park?

K1OIK likes this.
  6. K3JSJ

K3JSJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

KG5AHJ and N2ARK like this.
  7. KY1K

KY1K Ham Member QRZ Page

Around here the state owns the land that is then opened as a park. I've never heard of a "State Park" that is private land rented by the state to allow public access.

WA5KM and KG5AHJ like this.
  8. N2DDX

N2DDX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

sad we lost a park

Last edited: Mar 5, 2023
    KG5AHJ likes this.
  9. KG5AHJ

I ended up activating with K6ARK 9:1 EFWV antenna

KC7ZXY, KI5UXW and KQ1V like this.
  10. KG5AHJ

Agreed, its a true crying shame we are losing this one. I wished i had a better blue sky day to film the park in all its natural beauty. I do think i did a good job showing off the park anyways.

KN6ZEP and KI5UXW like this.
  11. KD2HWD

KD2HWD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As of 2020, the company was the ranked as the highest CO2 emitter in the US. You think they may want to clean up thier image and donate the land to the state

KI5UXW likes this.
  12. K5ZWW

K5ZWW Ham Member QRZ Page

The company used to be a good steward for the people of Texas. But, since the TXU buyout in 2007, those good ol' boys that know hard work for a living have been replaced with accountants and lawyers. All they are concerned about is money. That land around the lake is worth a fortune and will be sold to a development company. We will no longer have access to that lake, it will be for residents of that community only. There is no concern about public perception. They have every lawmaker and judge in Texas in their back pocket. A true disgrace.

13. K9TDW

K9TDW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

All of those trees on that property are consuming lots of CO2;)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2023
    KI5MVC, KJ7OES and KI5UXW like this.
  14. KG4NXT

KG4NXT Ham Member QRZ Page

Glad to have gotten the park before it poofed. KG4NXT

KG5AHJ likes this.
  15. KI5UXW

KI5UXW Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a real shame that such an awesome plot of land for us Texas residents and visitors from out-of-state is going to be squatted and squandered for some sort of nonsense gated community. In a world where the ecology is already fragile, the last thing we need is more encroachment on these precious few green spaces that're safe from development where we'll likely see many local flora and fauna pushed further to the brink.

W1AGC, WB7SKK, DS1ULP and 2 others like this.