ad: Schulman-1

Last Man Standing on Fox TV

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, May 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W5TTW

W5TTW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"Hey Ma! I'm trying to bust a pile-up. Can you bring down some pizza rolls, pleeeeeeeease?"

KB3GWQ likes this.
  2. N5WLS

N5WLS Ham Member QRZ Page

3. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Good grief.

I can't believe you all are arguing over imagined reasons for a TV sitcom getting canceled by one network, and restored on another. Yes it's a polarized time, but for heaven's sake most things are just what they seem to be - in this case a business decision - and don't always involve conspiracies of national politics.

And besides, take the political stuff to the Political Forum - please!

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    N5NSN, KK5R and N4GKS like this.
  4. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

Reportedly, ABC disliked the show's direction it was going towards and pulled the plug. But on the other hand, 20th Century Fox owns the show and not ABC. 20th is making money off LMS syndicated reruns; ABC gets $0 from syndication sales. Had ABC owned the show- instead of licensing it- it probably would have been renewed, IMHO.

KK5R likes this.
  5. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

He was successfully rehabilitated which is a rare thing nowadays. I haven't watched the show but will check it out.

I haven't watched a TV sitcom since "Happy Days" in the 1970's.

1 person likes this.
  6. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And "Time Tunnel"!

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Try 'Silicon Valley'.

Amazing show.

8. N4KZ

N4KZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The canceling of LMS had nothing to do with politics and everything to do with money. The show had been produced by Fox but "leased" to ABC and the two sides couldn't agree on $$$ for its continuation so ABC canceled it. But Fox wanted to bring it back and now they have. Hoping John Amodeo will again be involved in its production but haven't seen anything yet that would indicate that. If not, not sure the ham radio aspect will continue. Too bad if that's the case. But there are other worthy reasons to watch.

N5NSN likes this.
  9. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

AK5B likes this.
  10. WA5VGO

WA5VGO Ham Member QRZ Page

This is hardly the first show to be dropped by one network and picked up by another. It’s been happening since the first few years of commercial television.

N5NSN, KK5R and KK5JY like this.
  11. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

That's certainly true.

JAG was dropped before its first season was over. It was then picked up by another network and ran a total of ten years, and then spun off NCIS, which has run fifteen years, and two more spin-offs which have run nine years and four years, respectively, so far. I wonder if NBC ever kicked themselves for throwing away such a popular family of series? ;)

KK5R likes this.
  12. K0DD

K0DD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Lots of mistakes over at NBC, they also had Star Trek TOS, then moved them to the Friday Night Death Slot... How many Movies and additional series were spawn from the Star Trek franchise? NBC Has/Had no forward vision. :-(

KK5R and KK5JY like this.
  13. K6NIK

K6NIK Ham Member QRZ Page

I only watched a few episodes so far from season one after hearing about it. Seems like a rather enjoyable show. Having Hector Elizondo is a nice bonus.

14. WA5VGO

WA5VGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Canceling television shows with good ratings isn’t anything new. During CBS’s infamous “rural purge” at least a half dozen weekly series with good ratings were abruptly dropped. Why do the conspiracy freaks believe everything that happens is a result of something nefarious? Network television is very competitive. The networks are owned by stockholders and run by businessmen. Decisions are based on money, not politics. If not, the businessmen would be looking for jobs and the networks would be bankrupt.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    WX7P, KK5R and N5WLS like this.
  15. KG5QLS

KG5QLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Love the show and very happy to hear it will be returning this fall!

XYL & I watch the re-runs every night on channel 12 CW here in Mississippi.