ad: SDRKits-1

Larson 2m/440 Window mount antenna HELP

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by K9QCA, May 3, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
  1. K9QCA

K9QCA Ham Member QRZ Page

So I just a new F150 with the aluminum body and I have my radios and hf installation complete. The only thing I need to do is mount a 2m antenna but I’m not drilling holes. I’m interested in the Larson window mount but this my question I have tinted factory back windows and will the window mount still perform like it should or will the tint cause issues

Thanks

2. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

Most vehicle windows today, tinted or not, are made from "passivated" glass. This means they have microscopic metal imbedded in the glass. This cuts down on ultraviolet radiation reaching the inside of the vehicle, thus keeping it cooler. It also limits what you can do with a through-glass antenna. If you don't want to drill holes in the cab roof, then you might look into a hood mount and a 1/2 wave antenna.

3. AC2KV

AC2KV Ham Member QRZ Page

4. W0FM

W0FM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Also a bit pricey are the factory "look alike" antennas from STICO. www.sti-co.com
    They have 2M and 70cm antennas that are combined with a replacement broadcast antenna and mount in the original fender hole.

Terry, WØFM

5. K5BBC

K5BBC Ham Member QRZ Page

Drill. In the end there will be a rubber plug up there that nobody will know or care about, and you'll have a no issues no compromise antenna.

6. KD2GWD

KD2GWD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a cab over truck camper so a roof top antenna didn't work for me. My compromise no drill NMO Larson 2M/440 works well on a driver's side inner fender mount.