ad: Alphaant-1

Larry K. Miller, W7CB SK March 29, 2017

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by K2HAT, Apr 18, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Larry K. Miller, W7CB SK

[​IMG]

SK March 29, 2017
    10-10 Number: 10927

Larry Keith Miller

August 1, 1931 - March 29, 2017

Larry Keith Miller was born in Hampton, Iowa on August 1, 1931, the second of five sons to Mabel (Lau) and Dale Harold Miller. The family moved several times before settling in Long Beach, California when Larry was about 13 years old. He attended Jefferson Junior HIgh and Woodrow Wilson High School in Long Beach. During Larry's juior year of high school he met sophomore Charlene Crothers at a bowling alley. On Christmas Day 1949, Larry and Charlene went to Las Vegas and got married.

Larry enlisted in the US Marine reserve while in high school. When the Korean War began in 1950, Larry was immediately called into service by the US Marines and went to war as a high speed morse code operator. Upon completion of his military service he used the GI Bill to earn a bachelor's degree from Cal State Long Beach and a master's degree from University of Southern California.

Larry was a proud educator, working first as a Teacher, then Principal, Asst., Superintendent of business and finally as an Elected School Board Member in the Torrance, Santa Monica/Malibu and Templeton school districts. He was also an enthusiastic ham radio operator for over 70 years (W7CB).

Larry was predeceased by his parents and two of his brothers, Dale and Glen. He is survived by his wife of 67 years, Charlene and their three children, Russell (Kimberly) Miller, Christine Miller and Rick (Olga) Miller He also leaves two brothers, Dick and Leroy. Larry will be missed by his eight grandchildren, Todd (Renae) Miller, Caren (David) Van Geyzel, Alex (Ann Marie) Miller, Courtney Miller, Austin Miller, Garrett (Rebekah) Miller, Brandon (Victoria) Miller and Nicholas Miller. He had 11 great-grandchildren, Sierra, Autumn, Clara and Charlie Miller; Catherine, Nicholas and Reid Van Geyzel; Piper and Bristol Miller; Cy Miller and Evelyn Miller.

Larry will be remembered for his love of family, of education and of learning. He was a son, brother, husband, father, uncle, grandfather, great-grandfather, a teacher, a mentor, a lecturer, a music lover, a tower climber, a road trip adventurer, a military veteran and supporter, and of course a USC Trojans fan. Services will be held at a later date this summer. Please sign guestbook at dailybreeze.com/obits
    Published in Daily Breeze on Apr. 18, 2017 - See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/da...y-k-miller&pid=185120369#sthash.r4lo9V62.dpuf

2. JA1NUT

JA1NUT Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry to know his passing. I have talked with him on 40m CW many times. In our very last QSO in March 2017, he told me his scheduled surgery of replacement of heart valve was postponed until April. I haven't heard him ever since. I am afraid he has had heart problem worsened after that. He has loved CW and ham radio so much. It has been my pleasure to hear him on 40m in our early evening hours. I sure miss him.

Shin Onisawa
    JA1NUT

K5KT, W5BIB, K8PG and 1 other person like this.