ad: w5yi

Larry F. Skilton, K1IED SK June 4, 2018

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by K2HAT, Jun 10, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KX1W

KX1W Ham Member QRZ Page

QCWA #36771.

Ron Fish, KX1W
    QCWA Silent Key Administrator

K2HAT likes this.
  2. MI0SAI

MI0SAI Ham Member QRZ Page

Sad news !!

I remember having some great long Qso's (( last one bout 12 weeks ago )) over years with Larry mostly on 17m,
    but worked him from 10m to 40m ssb & rtty.
    He was always strong with his big Quad and loved talking about Quad's & telling me some FB storey's .
    I always knew his voice on the bands.

He be very sadly missed by all God Bless de UK

3. G8CYK

G8CYK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sad news indeed . We knew he was not well, and feared this news was coming.

Larry was pretty much the only US station into Europe on 17m from one week to the next. This is a sad loss to the hobby - he gave many of us our first transatlantic 17m contact.

73 and RIP.

4. W5FJG

W5FJG Ham Member QRZ Page

I was stationed at the South Pole (KC4AAA) from 2013 - 2014 and as most Hams know, Larry was the QSL manager for all three of the United States Antarctic Program's (USAP) stations. He did a wonderful job of handling the cards, but for us that Wintered-over, he was the glue that held the South Pole station together. He knew what was broken, and what had been tried before. This into helped us to get on JT-65, RTTY as well as regain the ability to use CW from inside the station. When I arrived at the South Pole, I saw that there was a 3 element Mosley antenna sitting on the ice near one of the towers. No one knew why it was there, if it was broken or fixed and ready to be put back up on the tower. Larry knew, and because it was still Summer at the South Pole we were able to get that 17 Meter antenna back up and working before the antenna riggers left for the season. When I arrived, paper logs were still in use! With Larry’s help we switched to electronic logs and with that he was able to get KC4AAA on LoTW.

He told me once that he and another Ham used to provide phone patches for USAP stations on an almost a nightly basis for years and years. While we didn’t need phone patches any longer, because of the Satellite systems, I can only imagine what it must have been like for a Winter-over in those days. Months of isolation, with 30 or 40 of your closest work buds, and the only connection to home and friends was a phone patch. No Facebook, no Internet, only Larry and few other Hams who could provide this connection. Each patch must have been so important to those guys.

He was a great guy, an excellent Ham who did a lot for others and I’ll miss him.

W4POT and K2HAT like this.
  5. K2HAT

K2HAT QRZ Volunteer Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

I saw Larry in Feb 2014 at Orlando Hamcation and asked him to Please get LOTW working, he groaned about it.

I said Larry, I have a blind Ham friend that uses N3FJP and LOTW. You live near Newington, h0w about if I say Pretty Please. :)

He replied "Okay I will see what I can do".

73 K2HAT

W4POT and W5FJG like this.
  6. K2HAT

K2HAT QRZ Volunteer Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

W5FJG and W5BIB like this.
  7. IU4HMZ

IU4HMZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ho fatto un QSO con Larry il 26.12.18 .... Mi dispiace tanto. Condoglianze alla famiglia de IU4HMZ.

8. N9ETB

N9ETB Ham Member QRZ Page

Worked Larry on RTTY and SSB. Another good ham gone from airwaves... :(

9. 2E0MNG

2E0MNG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Spoken to Larry when i was first licenced in 2013, 7 contacts on 4 bands. What a gentleman. My last QSO was November 2017, I did wonder why I hadn’t heard him. R.I.P sir.
    Neal - 2E0MNG

10. KC5MZA

KC5MZA Ham Member QRZ Page

Just coming across this , at a loss of words. Had many QSO's with Larry on 17 mtr ... knew of his condition and some fairly in depth conversations. Larry was a gentleman in every aspect. May you fly with the angels my friend and see you on the other side. My best wishes to the family .... he will be missed.
    73 KC5MZA