ad: M2Ant-1

Large size speaker sale

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by K9STH, Dec 6, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

AAZ:

If you look at the audio output specifications for the "boat anchor" tube-type receivers, the audio from which can definitely "fill the room", you will see that 2-watts is very typical. There are some, like the Collins 75A-4, that have an output power specification of only 0.75-watts!

It is not the audio amplifier output power that is the problem with "modern" transceivers, receivers, etc. It is the very small speaker that is within the cabinet. Even the older, inexpensive, receivers like the Heath AR-3, that have 5-inch speakers, "sound better", and have more volume, than most of the "modern" equipment.

The old "All American 5" standard broadcast receivers usually have 2-watts, or even less, audio output power and all of those receivers have larger built-in speakers than most "modern" amateur radio transceivers. Again, those receivers have plenty of volume.

The solution is not to increase the audio output power but it is either to start including larger speakers inside the cabinet (which is very hard to do these days for a number of reasons) or else to do like most of the higher end receivers of yesteryear and that is not to even try to include a speaker inside the radio. All of those receivers require a separate speaker and, quite often, the speaker cabinet is almost as large as the entire radio!

Glen, K9STH

KC8VWM, N4IAG and W0GSQ like this.
  2. W0GSQ

W0GSQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I barely turn up the volume pot on my AR-3, it does produce plenty of room filling sound with the built in speaker. When I run it into a 1960's era free standing speaker cabinet/ album storage unit it's even better.

3. ADAMPSLAB

ADAMPSLAB QRZ Member

Yeah, it is real thing that car audio system is getting better day by day as the competition is increasing among manufactures. At last, the end user is always benefited from this. They get the better quality products. I am gonna buy a new car for me and thinking to replace the in-built system with my own. Will update once I do it.

4. K0OKS

K0OKS Ham Member QRZ Page

5. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Sorry 'bout that chief!

Immediately following an obvious SPAM post about speakers, it appeared like you were referencing those speakers!

Glen, K9STH

6. K0OKS

K0OKS Ham Member QRZ Page

No worry. Just wanted to make sure folks were aware of that frequency response.

7. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

With rigs getting smaller and smaller, I don't think that's going to happen!

But personally, I have NEVER used the internal 'speaker in ANY rig !

Communication Receivers (or Transceivers) never used to have built-in loudspeakers . . .

It was only really the first "portable" rigs - like that FT101 - that included a small 'speaker inside . . . but that was designed just for temporary use, ie making it a convenient one-box rig for portable use.

However, surely anyone with any sense would always plug in a decent size external 'speaker for home station use?

Even with the Mobile Rigs in both my cars, the audio output is fed to the Driver's Door 'Speaker when the rig is on. (as the tiny internal 'speaker would never make enough noise)

Roger G3YRO