Large Print License Manual

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by NN9D, Aug 1, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
  1. NN9D

NN9D Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm trying to help my father get licensed. However, with vision problems, he has difficulty easily reading the license manual that I ordered for him. I've checked with ARRL and Handi-Hams and Amazon and they do not have anything like this. He only has very basic computer skills, so an on-line program would not be the best choice. I've done some checking via search engines, but have not found a large print license manual. Anyone know of one? Barring that, the only thing that comes to mind would be a Kindle and having him use magnification for easier reading.

Trying to add to the ranks of license hams! Suggestions welcome!

Ed
    NN9D

2. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Handihams used to offer the license materials on audio tape - I suspect they still do. But if your dad learns better through reading, the Kindle idea would probably be best. He should be able to choose a type face that he can read. My near vision without my glasses is very poor, but I can blow it up large enough to see it without my glasses.

Have you checked with W5YI or Gordon West? It's not the ARRL manual, but their study materials aren't bad. I also like the 'No Nonsense Study Guide' from KB6NU - you can download it free, or purchase it in several formats.