Laptop for Wires-X Yaesu System Fusion

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KJ3LR, Jul 5, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
  1. KJ3LR

KJ3LR Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm interested in putting together a wires-x simplex node on 2 meters.
    Unfortunately, I do not have another PC to run the node and I'm looking to get a possibly new laptop to do the job. I'm curious if anyone is using a laptop for wires and what should I look for in a basic laptop to get the job done. Thanks in advance for any and all replies.
    Best 73,
    Lou - KJ3LR

2. AI6AK

AI6AK Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm using a cheap Dell laptop with Windows 10 to run WIRES-X and WSJT-X. Works fine.

3. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Many older laptops will do just fine. Heck, check to see if a R-pi will handle it, then you have the simple way out.
    Look up the Udoo maker computers, as the UDOO X86 Ultra is rather good & the Bolt (End of year) will outdo many current laptops.
    If you do decide to buy a new laptop for ham radio in general, I would suggest to get the upper level laptops, with good graphics cards. This is due to the "Math processor" system in the graphics. It can take a big load off the processor, if you start playing with SDR & other higher end stuff.
    Like, with my LimeSDR USB (USB3.0), I have issues with different softwares on my daily laptop, as it has just "Intel HD switchable graphics". It's an older quad core I4 with 8 Gigs of RAM. It does not have the math processing for the DSP to run smoothly.
    Heck, I have a dual 6 core Xeon with 72 gigs of EEC RAM. That computer has trouble with real intensive SDR processing. I put a 1080 graphics card in it & most of the DSP & FFT is shipped to the 1080 & the computer hardly knows the Lime & software are there. It's now, just doing regular computing.

Using the CUDA cores in the graphics cards will get more & more common.

Ed