LanLink, PK232, with FTdx3000

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KR4LU, Jul 19, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KR4LU

KR4LU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have my PK232 running a packet node on vhf with LanLink 4.2.11 and my Yaesu 7800. Works great. I am trying to get it to work on HF using my FTdx 3000. So far, no luck. The radio does not seem to connect to the PK232. I think it may be settings in the radio. Anyone out there have any experience or thoughts on this. Any help would be appreciated.
    Dave KR4LU

2. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

How is the TNC physically connected to the FDTX-3000?

3. KR4LU

Com 8 on computer to the rs232 port on the radio and from "packet" din on radio to "radio 2" connection on the pk232

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  4. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

That's a pretty simple connection - are you getting any indication of receive noise/signals on the PK-232? Does the PTT line key the radio?

Menu 075 value?

Also, I think your computer needs to be directly connected to the TNC. The radio certainly isn't going to issue TNC commands ...

5. KR4LU

6. KR4LU

Menu 075: When in Data mode, the tnc works normally and tries to transmit, but nothing happens on the radio.
    When in USB mode, the tnc works normally and tries to transmit, it keys the transmitter with no output and leaves transmitter on.
    In either case, there is no indication on the DCD that any signal or noise is present.

7. KR4LU

A little progress. I now have 5 bars of DCD. The PK appears to be working correctly, but the radio is not seeing the PTT command. I don't know if the PK is receiving. It is Wednesday morning and not much packet on 14.105. It does appear to be menu settings in the radio. I'll leave it on hf packet on 14.105 and see if it receives anything that prints out on the screen.

Update: PTT is now tiggering the transmitter, but no output.

8. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

The PK-232 requires your callsign: KR4LU as one parameter. The audio level out is suspect if PTT is operable. An oscilloscope might detect either a noisey audio signal or a wrong level. Ground reference is critical. Isolation transformers can be helpful if noise is an issue. A spare 5-pin DIN plug ( male pins ) might make this easier. Ask an 'elmer' in your area for help only if he is willing to use his packet station and HF radio. Many use these just on VHF, for spotting or APRS.

9. KR4LU

10. KR4LU

I now have tx ouput, but no receive. the DCD shows the radio is hearing, but not decoding. Any ideas there?