Lack of Memory Banks in FTM 100

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KM6RWB, Nov 6, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KM6RWB

KM6RWB Ham Member QRZ Page

I am looking to replace my FT 7800 with a FTM 100dr- BUT it seems the FTM100 has NO memory banks- although it has 500 memory channels- I felt having the banks a real benefit - is there a work around or should I just get used to it- I have not purchased the new radio but I did read the manual for it- The fusion looks cool though- any ideas? Vic in Covina

2. AI6AK

AI6AK Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got both the FTM-100 and the FTM-400 and neither have memory banks. Just 500 memories on A and 500 on B. I too wish they had actual memory banks. Not really sure why Yaesu didn't include them. The FT70 and the FT2DR both have memory banks. You'd think if they were on the HT's they'd be on the mobile units as well. That's really my main complaints with the 100/400. Other than that they are both great radios.

WIRES-X/Fusion is pretty cool if you're into the digital thing. Audio quality is excellent.

3. KM6RWB

funny how you get used to stuff- I didnt get the whole BANK thing till I started to get more channels saved and found it was a big help

4. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

I never used the banks thing on my FT7900. Several other radios have them, I think they are annoying.

I suppose if I used programming software and the repeater directory, and could think of a sensible organization, it could be handy.

So I organize the programmed memories loosely by 10s and 100s...

5. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

The hypermemories on the 7900 were great. I had one for the local repeaters, one for satellites, and one for simplex. If you got lost, you just press the memory button and you were back where you wanted to be.

6. W4EGE

W4EGE Ham Member QRZ Page

At first I was shocked at the lack of banks in the FTM-400. Like, I was ready to sell the radio the hour I got it. How on earth can the FT-60 have 10 banks and then a flagship model have NONE!!!

Frustrated, I began my journey into understanding how this could have happened. In that, I think I've made my peace and might even understand the half-hitched logic on Yaesu's part to not include them.
    • ADMS software is the worst. I've never gotten to work...EVER. The more I thought about it makes business sense to not develop a working software. Leave that to others to figure out. In this case RT systems software is brilliant. It works perfectly and saves an incredible amount of time considering you can pull from outside databases. Why would Yaesu bother with that kind of upkeep when their job is really to make money on selling hardware? Pawn that work off onto someone that can turn a buck on EXACTLY what is needed. My point...Yaesu is not in the software game...they make hardware.
    • Do you really need banks? Id argue no, not always (despite the fact i use them on my FT2D). Here is the logic. If your mobile, in this case the FTM-400 with the correctly matched antenna can operate within 20-50 miles, why would you not want to let RT-systems grab every repeater all at once? If there are some you don't ever in tend on using...simply erase them. In the case you are scanning, you are not going to pick up anything outside of L-O-S, so it automatically skips what you cant hear anyway. Why is a bank needed in this case?
    • By extension, assuming again you are using RT-systems software, you could very very very easily just have a bunch of pre-programmed SD cards for areas that you intend on visiting. In this, it is certainly WAY faster to switch programing entirely and in less time than in would take to select and deselect banks.
    • Again, assuming you are traveling across three states. You could quite easily program nearly every repeater in the state in a matter of seconds. You have a SD for WV, OH, KY or any other combo you want. The point here is, using the SD cards as place holders, you can got way beyond the 1000 memories in the radio. If you dont need them in that moment...dont program them.
    The more I think of it...perhaps not having banks is not a bad thing. In my current programming I have every repeater within 110 miles since I am in that range 85% of the time. On Bank A i have all of the repeaters. On Bank B I have all of the simplex channels, FRS, MURS, etc and other frequencies of note programmed. When i want to use APRS, i simply have that on Bank B VFO. Its not like you would scan and use APRS at the same time since you would miss most packets.

Basically, Yaesu is staffed with evil geniuses.

I think I get it. The only thing that is really missing is some sort of hype or explanation from Yaesu talking about why they made this choice.
    Lets see...the ftm100 and ftm400 both have sd slots and no banks. The ft7900 (and I think every other mobile) has banks and no SD slot.
    Whats the difference? SD cards with the right programing are way easier to manage than radios with memory banks.
    The only exception in this would the the FT1/2D that seems to be the only Yaesu radios that have banks and SD slots. Why would these be different? Banks on a radio that can only transmit 2-5 miles would have a greater need to organize than a radio that can reach 20-50.

7. KM6RWB

NOW THAT IS A GREAT ANSWER- Man I would never have thought of that- ok now I am feeling better about that radio- thanks- please don't mind if I pass that info around

8. W4EGE

W4EGE Ham Member QRZ Page

Please do! I mostly tinker as a ham...I just really needed to figure out why this decision was made...or at least search for some sort of logic.