ad: WildEagle-1

Lab599 Discovery TX-500 - A different perspective

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Sep 30, 2020.

ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Bingo! A reputable review of the specs.

M1WML and N1IPU like this.
  2. N1IPU

N1IPU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

How long would he be in business if he didn't give good reviews? That's the real issue here. I know at least one reviewer told the truth of his deal. The outlets and some manufacturers readily loan out radios and gear for promotions not reviews. He gets a discount if he wants to keep or near wholesale from some. No one with the slightest critical thought is fooled by this. Ever wonder how these youtubers have the best or newest gear at their stations?

And again I never got a loaner to try out from DXengineering or HRO or any other radio business ever and I am sure most other hams had the same experience no matter how much they have bought in the past.

M1WML likes this.
  3. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

How is this any different than product reviews in other hobbies? Few reviewers in print or online media will give a truly negative review of a "loaned" product out of fear that they won't get future loans or ads (in the case of print reviews). I know for a fact that is how it works in the firearms industry (arguably one where accuracy of reviews is a bit more important). One learns to read between the lines or draw their own conclusions based on what is presented.

A while back you compared these reviews with one from another youtuber who you claim has a higher standard. Your example was of a "scathing" review of the Yaesu 818. However, the review didn't cover any new ground and the "criticisms" were really just regurgitations of what anyone familiar with the 818's predecessor already knew about the platform. Where's the honesty there?

We're all guests here at QRZ. The owner is free to promote whatever content he deems interesting. If we don't like it, we can take our views, and in the case of some, subscription fees, elsewhere. Why not take it up directly with the site management or ownership?

Chris

M1WML, OH8STN, K8XG and 1 other person like this.
  4. N1IPU

I don't understand why other hobbies matter in this equation. Is this a everybody does it so its ok response? Fact is there are other people actually buying the radio themselves and reviewing it. Then there are others who actually lab check the specs and post about it. These here are not reviews but in fact promotions. QRZ makes money from advertising and these posters do an end run around that and profit from it. No matter how little the profit is.

That you want to squelch discussion by telling me to take it up with management is a tell in itself. Last I knew site management can read these threads like anyone else so your suggestion is just cleverly disguised want of censorship.

M1WML and K8XG like this.
  5. KISEL39671

KISEL39671 QRZ Member

Will not buy anything that is made in Russia or China!!!! Both will try to destroy the United States any way they can. Think about what you're doing.

M1WML and AK5B like this.
  6. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope, just pointing out that it's the accepted standard for this sort of thing.

That's great. That info is there for consumption if someone desires a deeper dive into the device. Or, they can consume reviews like the OP and decide if they need to delve further.

If I understand correctly the site ownership decides what is promoted, so if they're losing money, it's with their tacit approval. Why are you acting as a gatekeeper for QRZ?

Hardly my intent. I'm suggesting you take the matter to the folks with a vested interest and ability to effect change. You're more likely to achieve your stated goal. Otherwise, the OP, presumably with QRZ's approval or even direct support, would have no compelling reason to cease.

Chris

M1WML likes this.
  7. KC8UD

KC8UD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have first hand experience just recently with Samsung who bricked my DVD player remotely and I never tampered with it. They bricked it with one of their automatic updates which was apparently corrupt. If you search the web for this you will find that Samsung bricked thousands of their products all around the world with corrupt automatic updates. I had to send it back to Samsung for them to install new chips and do factory reset. If your device is connected to the net and it's a Samsung, it probably has stopped working.
    Sorry...I know this is a little off topic. Back to topic...Julian, very nice review.

M1WML, AJ6KZ, K8XG and 1 other person like this.
  8. N1IPU

Stated goal? Gatekeeper? LOL dude your funny.

M1WML likes this.
  9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The NEED for tuners is a fairly recent effect caused by the total switchover to solid state finals in TX for our transceivers. Tubes could take a certain amount of power coming back and dissipate it as heat. Granted, that was wasted power, but is the reason why excursions of SWR above 2 were not critical. In the last 30+ years, power transistor finals almost always have feedback mechanisms to pull back or power down as the SWR approaches 2, hence the NEED for something that used to be an OPTION, and not a particularly preferred one.

Its pretty easy to do coax length matching for those obsessed with QRP radios with low SWR needs , or build/buy a simple, lightweight tuner. :)

M1WML likes this.
  10. K2JTC

K2JTC Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the overview/review Julian.
    I've been patiently waiting for this radio to go into production, it will replace the FT-817 in my BOB.
    The target demographic of this radio is obvious to me, as well as you, however, others seem to keep trying to compare it to radios that are not in this class...this IS a "green radio" class xcvr.
    If you don't like it, don't buy it...belly ache and whine somewhere else; buy a different radio.

M1WML, PA0MHS, KA0HCP and 1 other person like this.