Lab599 Discovery TX-500 - A different perspective

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Sep 30, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Left-2
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
  1. N1IPU

N1IPU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's my point, I have spent thousands with HRO and they never would loan me a radio to try out. Of course not selling my soul to manufacturers on Youtube and Flooding QRZ for clicks.
    If you cannot trust the reviewer to be impartial whats the point? Cannot afford to dump on such a deal though if your money stream depends on it.

M1WML and WN1MB like this.
  2. KD2MIP

KD2MIP Ham Member QRZ Page

The only inexpensive route available is the Xiegu G90. It's double the power of the Icom 705 and almost 1/3 the price. and it includes an ATU. For me, this is convenient for operating QRP from a backpack and buddistick. The build quality will never be as good as the Icom. They could have left vhf/uhf + digital out and out an ATU in. My thinking is that they sought to get the Tech class market in on 10 meters.

M1WML likes this.
  3. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

We probably saw the same video. In the one I saw, the guy lives within the Boston beltway or thereabouts, iirc. He's absolutely brilliant and performed some automotive and electronic near miracles. However, the hoops he has to jump through to do what were formally just do it and done tasks are far beyond what the average shade tree mechanic can do.

M1WML likes this.
  4. WN1MB

Was it loaned or purchased? If purchased, was full retail paid? If purchased, was it done so anonymously - in that the seller didn't know of your YouTube channel and/or that you planned doing a review on it?

M1WML likes this.
  5. KI6NAZ

KI6NAZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It was a loaner. I was replying to the comment "We know you get yours cheap if not free"

I didn't keep the radio.

M1WML likes this.
  6. KI6NAZ

I generally try when purchasing any radios that no one knows who I am. In the case of the TX-500 it was a temporary loaner.

M1WML likes this.
  7. WN1MB

Thank you for being up front and not dancing around the question like some others are wont to do.

And then there's that one reviewer who won't even acknowledge "the question" - let alone not answering it with diversionary song and dance.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
    M1WML, AJ6KZ, AK5B and 1 other person like this.
  8. KI6NAZ

Whats the deal with your over-exagertations in your replies pertaining to videos? Speaking for myself, I don't "sell my soul" to manufacturers. Nor have I ever spammed QRZ for clicks. I don't post most of my videos here, I genuinely try to post what I think the people here may like. For instance, alot of my videos cater to those entering the hobby. I don't think that is the larger demographic here. If you are curious, my Lab 599 TX-500 introduction video that I posted here shows about 20% of the views came from QRZ.com. Its an interesting radio that hams are obviously interested in.

Further, we who post to QRZ have no control of what makes the front page, as I assume you known, but you keep beating that dead horse.

M1WML likes this.
  9. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't watch a youtube video, I heard him being interviewed on Joe Rogan's podcast. I don't think what he did is within the reach of most folks, just pointing out that what I'd consider the most closed automotive system can still be worked on if you're motivated (and smart...and have some money).

Chris

M1WML likes this.
  10. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

It looks nice. Weather/water resistance is a big deal at the beach "off season" and many of the places I like to hike. Lack of tuner no problem. The specifications are a bit thin to jump on one. I'd like to see a review of specs!

73, -bob ah7i

M1WML likes this.