Lab 599 TX 500 qrp radio now for sale at HRO

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KL7KN, Jul 20, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Does HRO actually have "stock" of the Lab599 now? I checked last Friday, and they did not. They were "taking orders," but didn't actually have any.

I'm close to an HRO and if the door's open (not sure, due to COVID), I'll certainly take a close look at one.

2. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The only thing missing from a 2001 LeSabre custom is your back up camera, and the fact
    it is not a SUV.

Elecraft has been great about updates. This new radio has no track record. But we will see... LOL

3. KD7WPJ

KD7WPJ Ham Member QRZ Page

There is no LAB599 address, phone, E-mail contact information available. This brings a questions about this company in general, and how to contact it in case of possible quality or other issues.

4. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, HRO is well known company and located in the USofA last I looked.

No different that an ICOM or other offshore made rig - in as much as you would be dependent on the dealer for warranty work.

As much as I love the corm factor - I just ordered a set of armor & cover for my KX2. I will watch as others pick one up and (hopefully) share there experience.

FWIW, I changed my opinion of "Russia made equipment" after spending a long time in the former Soviet working on an oil spill clean up job a few years back.

Much of the gear may look crude, but it works well in even the harshest conditions - as I witnessed time and again.... And this radio looks to be brick outhouse rugged....

If they make enough sales to be able to drop the price point a tad, I won't rule out buying one. Because it really rains a lot here in Alaska...

K6MAA likes this.
  5. N3FTU

N3FTU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow don't need to make this ugly... just take a sec google are cars safer and more economical since 2000...not a good idea to dispute data with intuition. Like bringing a slingshot to a gunfight.

let's look at the 2 things that matter about cars. Safety and Fuel Economy.

Safety: NHTSA says me and my family are 30% less likely to die in a new car pretty compelling point for the newer technology.

Economy: EPA says since 2004 gas mileage has increased 30%.

Stick with your 2000 vehicle looks like for economy and the safety of my family I'll bias to the newer technology.

references:
    Specifically, here’s how NHTSA’s data breaks down the frequency of fatalities in crashes by model year:
    • 1997-2002: 42%
    • 2003-2007: 36%
    • 2008-2012: 31%
    • 2013-2017: 26%

https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/812528

Since 2004, CO2 emissions have decreased 23%, or 108 g/mi, and fuel economy has increased 30%, or 5.8 mpg. Over that time, CO2 emissions and fuel economy have improved in twelve out of fourteen years and have repeatedly achieved new records.
    https://www.epa.gov/automotive-trends/highlights-automotive-trends-report

AJ6KZ and KA0HCP like this.
  6. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

my daily drive is a 99 grand cherokee, a very delux car. on jeep forums my notice is out for a low mile,low rust 99 to 04 g c limited,paying $5000. dont want new junk...

7. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

My Chevy 4x4 surburban is the most reliable vehicle I've owned.
    Huge brush guard welded to the frame, and very heavy duty rear
    bumper, also welded on. Hope none of the tiny cars of today ever
    runs into it, an airbag may not help them.
    In a month, it will be 43 years old. Only gets 14 MPG, but I
    just filled the tank for $1.599 a gallon, so fuel is no problem. If
    something breaks, I can fix it. Heck, I can replace the entire drive-train
    for less than $4,000.00.
    Keep your airbags, touch screens, bluetooth, and computers, I'll
    keep my solid steel "boat anchor" forever.

W9WQA likes this.
  8. W0MSN

W0MSN Ham Member QRZ Page

Now this is a car thread? Tx-500 was also a snowmobile Might as well talk about those too.

AJ6KZ, F8WBD and KA0USE like this.
  9. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

any news on the radio?

10. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

i had a yamaha tx-500. nice bike.