Lab-599 Discovery TX-500 Review

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KI6NAZ, Jul 21, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Re the ISS, Americans used to visit thanks to the Russians. Now, the launches are courtesy of SpaceX, a California company who builds the rocket engines and bodies about 20 miles from me.

G3SEA likes this.
  2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Nowadays, how many allies have we?:)

AJ6KZ, F8WBD and CD7CKU like this.
  3. N6SPP

N6SPP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm waiting for the FT-867 (100w pa,hf/6/2/440,all mode)

4. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've run those power levels. It's a HUGE difference in practice, and I don't care (though I do know) what the math says.

In practice a small difference at those levels often makes the difference between being heard or not. Once you're heard clearly then an additional small difference makes only, well, a small difference. So a numerically small difference can still be an operationally HUGE difference, if it MAKES all the difference.

5. WD4IGX

Ok - admittedly I'm behind the times in that I've never used any SDR. So I take your word on that.

The rest is pretty much what I'm saying. A small difference that makes THE difference is, operationally, a BIG difference. ;)

6. WD4IGX

Russia has not been our enemy, though sometimes at cross purposes on the International stage, in decades.

Some other countries I have other opinions about but I have no issue buying Russian built items as such, just compare price, features, performance, service - being made there is a nothing-burger, at least to me. Oh I'd prefer American but aside from Elecraft, and they're unworkable proud of 'em, and a few specialty items that isn't practical.

KR3DX likes this.
  7. K4DL

K4DL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not sure. I would be more concerned with not helping our enemies. Doing business with neutral countries would not bother me. The most important thing is that we stay the course and keep building our nation up with President Trump and not allow total idiots to convince us that good is bad, that the leftest hate, looting, and murders is better for us. The left is totally insane.

KR3DX likes this.
  8. WA2EIO

WA2EIO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great for portable use, except for most portable operation you will: Need an antenna tuner. Need a special cable to connect a key/paddle. Need a special cable to connect a headset if you don't want to carry the mic./speaker unit with you. Need a special cable if you plan on using computer/sound card modes.

9. PA0MHS

PA0MHS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Real hams fabricate those cables themselves.

WD4IGX likes this.
  10. WD4IGX

It's not the getting them or fabricating them, it's the rat's nest of extra cables! Doens't matter if you make them or buy them, it's still too many cables to carry around when most of them wouldn't be needed if the design were a bit different.

W5CJA, AJ6KZ, WD4ELG and 1 other person like this.