ad: CQMM-1

Lab-599 Discovery TX-500 Review

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KI6NAZ, Jul 21, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KI6NAZ

KI6NAZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

W6VMJ, VK6TY, K6GB and 5 others like this.
  2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Q: How do you get in touch directly with Lab599 Inc? Address? Phone number? Something?

KD7WPJ, KA8UGB, N8PEM and 1 other person like this.
  3. AE7YD

AE7YD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

John, does it have CW message memories? I did order one from HRO but couldn't find it in the manual. Unfortunately HRO don't have any stock yet and won't be available until late September. They expect 50 units with 11 already pre-ordered, including mine.
    Thanks for the video.

NE7EE likes this.
  4. KF4ZYN

KF4ZYN Ham Member QRZ Page

NE7EE likes this.
  5. WB2WIK

I read the whole manual also and it does not mention CW memories, so we must assume it hasn't any.

Other than covering 6m and being slightly smaller, what does this rig offer that the Xiegu G90 doesn't? The Xiegu has a conventional RJ plug mike connector; an internal speaker (it's loud); an internal automatic antenna tuner (the Lab599 doesn't); a conventional key jack; and runs twice the power (20W). It is somewhat larger and doesn't cover 6m, though. They're both SDRs and both have 48 kHz spectrum displays, waterfalls, audio EQ, adjustable bandwidth down to almost nothing, etc.

Is it the size and 6m coverage that gives this the edge?

KB2SMS, G3SEA, VK3DEK and 1 other person like this.
  6. N6NLX

N6NLX Ham Member QRZ Page

No internal battery or tuner. It’s a nice looking radio in my opinion but I’m not sure I’d pay 800.00 dollars for it.

NY6P, K3RLD, KB2SMS and 5 others like this.
  7. KF4ZYN

KF4ZYN Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't seem to find out anything about the origin of the company. The manual and the HRO website refers to:

LAB599
    Komsomolskaya 118, Office 10
    Rubtsovsk, Altai Region 658200

I can't seem to find any reference to the company on the FCC website. Either the website is not up to date with the type acceptance, it was not released yet (e.g. sometimes not disclosed due to marketing reasons), or the importer applied for the type acceptance.

The internet domain is registered in Russia too.

KA2FIR likes this.
  8. AE7YD

AE7YD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, the 6m. I also have a G90 and a KX2 neither of them have 6m. I'll keep the G90 and sell the KX2. What can I say, I like trying new radios.

KC5KCT, NE7EE, N4SAX and 1 other person like this.
  9. N6NLX

N6NLX Ham Member QRZ Page

HRO isn’t even open to demo the radio. Unknown if they will ever be. Last time I looked at their site it doesn’t sound like they plan on opening to the public anytime soon.
    Maybe they will hand the radio through the mail slot so we can look and play with it?

10. WB2WIK

I wouldn't even remotely consider buying it without knowing they're in circulation, other people have them, real user reports, etc.

If there's no way to contact them, how do they provide technical support? Maybe by e.s.p.

I'll pass.

KU4NJ, HB9EPC, YO3IPC and 1 other person like this.
  11. KI6NAZ

KI6NAZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good question. I’ll add that to the list for the deep dive video I will be doing.

thank you.

KA8UGB likes this.
  12. WA2LXB

WA2LXB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the review. The rig is light, 100ma in receive mode (no signal) and the water resistance is a nice feature...takes a lot of worry out of damaging the rig when being hucked about in the field or thrown into the trunk. This is a seriously cool feature if kayaking, sailing, skiing or spending a lot of time outdoors with it.

Also, if one is really trying to reduce loadout weight, this might be a good choice. The speaker mic might be nice too if one is going pedestrian mobile and wants to clip the mic to a backpack strap without needing a separate speaker. An AF gain on the mic would have been nice.

I didn't quite see the 'waterfall' feature in the video, as the screen appears to provide a spectrum display that provides instantaneous signal strength and width vs waterfalls which provide instantaneous and historical signal information.

Per the manual the receive current draw is 100ma without a signal driving the speaker. KX3 is 150ma, KX2 is 135ma, Xeigu is 500ma.

I find it nice to have at least 20 watts for POTA/SOTA, especially for SSB, and a waterfall display. The Xeigu is 56% of the price, twice the weight, 5x the receive power draw and twice the transmit power with a detail rich spectrum display with waterfall.

I like it...send it to me to test when you're done with it:D

KA8UGB and AK5B like this.
  13. W5RCQ

W5RCQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I will continue to wait for the Icom IC-705 which has more power out, an internal battery, 6meters, 2 meters, 3/4 meters and a large backup organization. And probably will be out for sale sooner than the LAB599.
    73 W5RCQ

AK5B and KA2FIR like this.
  14. OZ1FJB

OZ1FJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  15. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you kidding? Three of these radio's fit inside a Xiegu. Besides that, it's waterproof and it has a solid milled aluminum housing. This radio is built like a brick and ideal for travelling, hiking etc. Very durable in comparison with the Xiegu.

N6MEJ, AK5B and KA2FIR like this.