-L suffix on repeaters, what does it mean?

Discussion in 'Echolink/IRLP Tech Board' started by N0UWU, Apr 8, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. N0UWU

N0UWU Ham Member QRZ Page

I saw a few repeaters on Echolink with -L instead of -R (for example the W8CMN repeater has both W8CMN-R and W8CMN-L) and was wondering what it meant.

2. KC9ONY

KC9ONY Ham Member QRZ Page

http://www.echolink.org/faq_advop.htm

"I'm a little confused about the difference between the -L and -R suffixes. Could you please clarify?

When running in Sysop mode, the callsign entered in the Station options tab must have either a -R or -L added to the end. -R indicates that you have connected EchoLink to a rig tuned to the frequency pair of a local repeater (or connected it directly), whereas -L indicates it is tuned to a simplex frequency. This distinction is helpful to stations which connect to your link, since operating practices differ somewhat between repeaters and simplex frequencies, and it is useful to know (before connecting) which type of link is being provided.

Note that (in most countries) it is not necessary that the callsign of a -R node be the same as that of the repeater to which it is tuned, nor that it be operated by the repeater trustee. However, it is always good practice to obtain the trustee's permission before setting up such a link."

KC8PKZ and N0UWU like this.
  3. K1RFD

K1RFD Ham Member QRZ Page

To that I would add that a few repeater links have a -L suffix (instead of -R), in cases where the same callsign is being used for 2 different repeater links.

4. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

L, usually means that the repeater is linked to other repeaters

5. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

EchoLink doesn't allow multiple stations with the same callsign and suffix.
    If somebody has two repeaters with the same callsign they can't both be -R. One has to be a -L.
    The convention is -R for repeater nodes and -L for simplex nodes but that isn't always the case.

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

-L is normally for a linked system operating in Sysop mode.