L Shaped HF Antenna Loop....Good idea?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AD2Y, Jul 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. AD2Y

AD2Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Live in CA and limited antenna options because of HOA. Thinking about a L shaped loop antenna all around the roof line (~ 250 feet circumference, about 20 feet high). See drawing.....anyone got Thoughts? I already have a dipole in the attic, so-so results..... upload_2020-7-18_19-11-49.jpeg

KA4DPO likes this.
  2. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

They don't allow 24' flagpoles?

3. AD2Y

AD2Y Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't believe so, but could check....thinking a vertical?

4. W4IOA

It's always worth a try. I got one through here.
    Zero Five makes a nice looking one and several years ago QST had the plans in their magazine on building a nice looking one.
    I've never had a neighbor complain. Who doesn't love the flag. Radials are important, I told them it was for grounding but don't mention anything you don't have too. I put mine in my backyard for ease of radials and a remote tuner but if you put it in front and you have a short coax run there is no need for a remote tuner. Matter of fact my inboard 7410 tuner is enough for several bands.

5. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

If there aren't any issues with proximity to metallic objects (gutters, etc), it might be worth a try. Might make a great NVIS wire on 80 & maybe 40, probably work fine on the other bands.

If you end up trying, please come back with a report on how well (or not) it played for you.

N8ZL and W4IOA like this.
  6. AD2Y

AD2Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Still thinking it through....I do have metal gutters, but they would be higher (by about a foot).....although I do have some downspouts that I would have to work around (they are set off from the house high up, so I would be going underneath them.....not ideal, but doable. I think I might experiment with some temporary antennas first (longer dipoles in the backyard for a few days) to see what I can expect as a baseline and then go from there.....for sure if I do it, I will report back!

WZ7U likes this.
  7. AD2Y

AD2Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, I have never been a big vertical fan on HF, particularly because of the need for radials.....but you never know, particularly if I get desperate enough.....

8. W4IOA

Don't overthink the radials

9. W0FS

W0FS Ham Member QRZ Page

The gutters a foot or so from the antenna would probably introduce some loading difficulties. Also, the effectiveness of a loop if i understand correctly, is in the area contained within the loop. The sketch you present would look like that would be minimized.
    The desirability of this may depend on your expectations. Local nets? Dxing? Multiband operability? My guess is it would not be a great dxing antenna but the other conditions may come out good. And like someone said, lots of fun in experimenting with antennas. Over the years I have had great results with antennas that others have said wouldn't work. So don't let any of us discourage you. Good luck.
    Clay W0FS

10. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

If the gutter was continuous around the house, and if you were handy welding them together, you might be able to pull off one stealth antenna.

W0FS likes this.