ad: elecraft

KZ8O fined $22,000 by the FCC for intentional interference

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jul 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

By the District Director, Detroit Office, Northeast Region, Enforcement Bureau:
    I.
    INTRODUCTION
    We propose a penalty of $22,000 against amateur radio station operator Michael Guernsey
    for intentionally causing interference to other amateur radio operators and failing to provide station
    identification. Amateur radio frequencies are shared and licensees may not monopolize any frequency for
    their exclusive use. Deliberate interference undermines the utility of the Amateur Radio Service by
    preventing communications among licensed users that comply with the Commission’s rules. In addition, the
    failure to transmit call sign information disrupts the orderly administration of the Amateur Radio Service by
    preventing licensed users from identifying a transmission’s source. Mr. Guernsey has been repeatedly
    warned in writing by the Enforcement Bureau about causing interference to other amateur radio operators.
    This history of noncompliance, combined with Mr. Guernsey’s deliberate disregard for Commission
    authority, warrants a significantly increased penalty.

In this Notice of Apparent Liability for Forfeiture (NAL), we find that Mr. Guernsey,
    licensee of Amateur Radio Station KZ8O in Parchment, Michigan, apparently willfully violated Section 333
    of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended (Act), and Sections 97.101(d) and 97.119(a) of the
    Commission’s rules (Rules) by causing intentional interference to licensed radio operations and failing to
    transmit his assigned call sign in the Amateur Radio Service.

II.
    BACKGROUND
    Mr. Guernsey has a long history causing interference to the communications of other
    amateur radio operators and has been warned repeatedly in writing by the Enforcement Bureau that his
    actions violate the Rules.2 On March 7, 2014, in response to several complaints of intentional interference

Read full text at: http://www.fcc.gov/document/michael-guernsey

2. N1SZ

N1SZ QRZ Lifetime Member #233 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

NICE!!!!!!

3. AC7DX

AC7DX Guest

yank his license and do not lower fine

4. K0RFD

K0RFD Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe I once heard this person, under his former callsign, curse out a bunch of Boy Scouts who were operating in JOTA.

5. W4YBB

W4YBB Ham Member QRZ Page

Mr. Guernsey's Amateur Radio Operator's license expires in just over a year.
    The appeal process for the fine could easily take longer than the remaining term of the license.
    I recall in at least one previous case, the FCC has simply blocked renewal of a license rather than go through the revocation process. This may be the long term intention in this case.
    It is good news for the Amateur Service when the FCC takes an active, public action against violators of the rules.
    It is also good that QRZ (Thanks, Fred), the ARRL and other organizations post these announcements.

6. AD0HT

AD0HT Ham Member QRZ Page

"Dance Monkey Dance...." Hmmmm.....

7. NT2C

NT2C Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm glad that the FCC finally took strong action, but it really should not have taken 15+ years, and given such a long history I would have expected license revocation to be part of it.

(The first warning letter was sent in November of 1998, according to the notes on the official documents)

8. N4KC

N4KC Ham Member QRZ Page

Not only is it good news that some of the 14.313 bunch are finally getting slapped and slapped hard, but that the FCC is making sure the rest of us know about it. As previously noted, let's hope this fine doesn't get reduced to a slap on the wrist and that serious consideration is given to revoking or not renewing the guy's license.

Frankly, I believe we do a pretty good job of self-policing our hobby. However, some folks seem to think that gives them the right to do about anything they want to on the bands. I know not to dial in to .313 when I have visitors in the shack. But I should not have to worry about that.

9. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

The FCC needs an asset forfeiture law similar to drug laws. If the violation takes place in the violators home or vehicle they should confiscate the property and use it to finance further enforcement.

10. WY4J

WY4J Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats...glad to see the FCC finally taking a stand against all these morons. Once you burn a few the rest of these idiots the rest will walk the strait an narrow. I noticed 14.275 has been free of idiots for a while. I wonder if this fool was part of the 14.313 group of Einsteins?

11. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

That's right! those guys better shape up or they'll get a very stern letter
    and fifteen years later they'll be in big trouble!

:)

Dave
    W7UUU

12. AE1CT

AE1CT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

not only should this guys license be revolked but he should have to forfiet all his ham gear. If he is allowed to keep his radios he will be back to doing the same thing on differant bands. Heavy fines and revolking his license plus forfieting all radios should stop him and send a clear message that we hams who operate by the rules will have less qrm and a more enjoyable hobby.

13. W8ZNX

W8ZNX Ham Member QRZ Page

no no no
    the gov all ready plays too loose with forfeiture of personal property

it should be harder
    not
    easier for the government to confiscate peoples property

some here may need to spend some time reading
    " the father of classical liberalism " John Locke

14. K8CIX

K8CIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Now if the FCC would just do something about the group of Idiots on 7255.

15. W8JJ

W8JJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's awesome! Now, let's hope the FCC focuses on the remaining cast of characters that inhabit 14.313 MHz. At least most of the trash tends to collect in one place without polluting the rest of the amateur service. For that we can all be thankful!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.