KX3 Owners survey

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WB8AM, Oct 4, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
  1. VK4FFAB

VK4FFAB Subscriber QRZ Page

K1OIK likes this.
  2. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use this USB sound card with my laptop. When I was searching around YouTube I saw a guy in Austin, TX doing a video with his and he used a similar one so I ordered one for like $10 I think. So far it has worked for me, though when I'm portable, I don't use digital modes all that much.

When I'm at home, I use my flex for digital modes.

3. AB2YC

AB2YC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For digital modes a mono input is OK,
    To act as a pan adapter you need a stereo input for the I/Q signals

K1SZO likes this.
  4. K8SQB

K8SQB Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been trying to make sense of all this hook-up so I can take my KX3 out to Death Valley and Rachel, Nevada (where the space aliens play), but so far all I have is confusion. Recommendation on hooking up a cheap Sabrent USB audio dongle (7.99 at Frys) and I should be good to go. Haven't had the chance to try it yet.

The one thing I wish my KX3 had was a dedicated forum with good clear explanations and pictures, for when people hook them up to various computers and what configuration seems to work best for digital or other modes.

5. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

1. How many times during a QSO do you mention your KX3 ? ( add a point for each time )
    2. Do you feel the urge to tell non Hams about your KX3? ( One point )
    3. Do you mention your KX3 in all your forum posts? ( one point )
    4. Do you think about your KX3 when making love? ( 2 points )
    5. Do you call your KX3 " My Precious " ( 3 points )

WZ7U and WF4W like this.
  6. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I just finished making the cables for using a SUCCI box with my KX3. This provides a serial port for CAT (which takes a standard 3.5mm TRS audio cable), and RCA jacks for FOOTSW, PTT and CW.

I soldered an RCA connector to a short length of cable and connected it with a 3.5 mm TRS audio cable (for Audio Out from PC) to make a Y-cable into a TRRS connector for the KX3 MIC jack.

The final cable was just an RCA connector to a 3.5mm TRS for the KX3 KEY jack.

I'm using in-line isolation transformers on the Audio Out and Audio In cables.

There are some fairly good wiring diagrams in the book, "The Portable Elecraft KX3". The author also describes various menu settings which are necessary to configure the KX3 jacks, if necessary.

To solve the problem of hearing the Audio In with the KX3 speaker disconnected, I just check "Listen" in the Windows controls for that device and listen on the PC speakers. Volume control for this is possible using the audio mixer without disturbing the KX3 PHONES level. You can also drag "System Sounds" to zero so you don't send Windows beeps on Audio Out.

This provides standard DTR/RTS control lines for software like CWType and TrueTTY.

I have a MicroHAM USBIII, but they don't make a cable for the KX3. I'm going to have to finish that cable project to get a true external USB digital interface. This will provide an "all in one" USB solution, where the interface provides an audio card with isolation, RS-232 keying outputs and RS-232 CAT. Also, the USBIII is almost unique in providing a built-in R-channel CW key output for Fldigi.

So, for now, I am trying out the SUCCI.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  7. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

ugh..elecraft... no worse groups of owners (flex is close 2nd)

They expound upon the virtues of their rigs but can't navigate the menus. They talk about how great they are for CW --while only using SSB!

I consider myself a pretty decent CW guy and a darn good appliance operator :)p) and I would never buy a elecraft (except maybe the amp)

WN1MB likes this.
  8. AB2YC

AB2YC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A lot of good information available.

WN1MB likes this.