KX3 Owners survey

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WB8AM, Oct 4, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. W4ZD

W4ZD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Dream on. Fantasies are cool too. :rolleyes:

2. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Apparently so too is the world of self-delusion in which you appear to be the official tour guide. Bon voyage.

3. W4ZD

W4ZD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you. I shall endeavor to have a very fond voyage. :)

In the words of Jerry Cantrell...

Maybe you should know
    I'm feeling lonely
    And I'm tired, oh yeah
    Maybe I should go
    Got no desire
    To watch the last tear fall
    Maybe this will show
    I'm reeling, empty
    Uninspired, oh yeah
    Maybe I don't know
    You anymore
    And I'm smiling
    Our burden is untied
    Let it die

4. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Positives
    • It's small, and very light.
    • Because of above, my go-kit is a single ammo kit that even includes full size headphones and 9ah lipo4 battery, yet still the entire package is extremely light.
    • Very efficient power usage wise, I've never even came close to draining my battery on portable outtings.
    • The button and menu layout is extremely efficient and easy to use.
    • It's RX is phenomenal.
    • Out of all my radios (KX3, FT-450D & Flex 6400) I feel it's easily the best CW rig by a long shot. (not talking about the CW add-on paddle attachment, I prefer a real paddle)
    • Even being so small and portable, you can get an add-on waterfall display. (I don't own it....yet!)

Negative
    • It's only 15 watts. (why not 1500 haha)
    • I purchased a 3rd party heatsink and dogears with plastic protective cover for the radio face. Would have been nice if it came default like that. Especially for the price.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    KG7WGX likes this.
  5. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm sure you are aware that it isn't just a panadapter, it can be set up to show a "text mode" area below the waterfall which works with the KX3's CW/PSK/RTTY decode functions. And you can plug a USB keyboard into the side and use it to transmit in these modes. Or, you can save screen shots to a mass-storage device plugged into that same USB port.

It's not as full-featured as Fldigi, but it is a lot simpler to set up. (Of course, I plan to get Fldigi working, too...)

K1SZO likes this.
  6. AB2YC

AB2YC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My son has my KX3 now, but I had played around with some software on a small notebook computer that made
    a nice panadapter for the KX3. The hardest part for me wss finding a small usb sound card with a sterio input.

7. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

KX3?

th.jpeg

WN1MB likes this.
  8. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

9. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't like snobby Elecraft users. Some are nice, most are goobs. :) I was wondering what you were doing up late then...DUH....you live on the left bank.

10. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

VK4FFAB likes this.