ad: elecraft

KX3 Owners survey

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WB8AM, Oct 4, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VE7FMN

VE7FMN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

someone sold me their KX3 for a very nice price when they fell upon hard times. I sold it back to him 6 months later, when he was back into a new job. For the same price. I also added the industry leading replacement heat sink to it, so that it would last a very long time. Did i do good?

W1TRY, WN1MB and KC8VWM like this.
  2. W4ZD

W4ZD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

In the professional software development world (where I come from) most folk refer to it as Windoze. And for good reason.

3. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

In the professional software development world (where you come from) has anyone had the success of Microsoft or are they trying raise them self up by putting others down?

4. W4ZD

Business success and technical excellence are two completely and mutually exclusive critters. Surely you realize this, Burt? I am typing this reply on a Win 7 laptop. Why? Because that's the way it came. I have dual-boot Linux installed, too. And I seldom use it, because Windoze is the most prevalent OS out there, so most software companies target that market first, and many target no other market.

I know the company and know many of the folks there. There is little in the way of technical excellence to be found there. Bill Gates, et al were not particularly good on the technical side. What he was, was a brilliant businessman with a good nose for sniffing the wind.

Two different critters, sir. :)

5. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Legitimate critiques and mocking are completely and mutually exclusive critters. Surely you realize this.
    Two different critters,
    Beta was better than VHS, how did that work out?

6. W4ZD

There is a 3rd category: legitimate mocking critiques. And probably a dozen other types as well. What's yer point? :)

7. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I would buy a kX3 if it had more knobs and switches and none of the terrible menu selectable functions.

8. W4ZD

Yeah, me too. Rigs keep getting smaller, with more and more features, thus less real estate for knobs. This is a confounding trend. The "menus" are a colossal aggravation to me, a time waster and a pain in the butt. I have always believed in the KISS engineering principle (Keep It Simple, Stupid). And yet the industry goes in the other direction: We need more features to beat the competition. More of this and more of that. I wonder if it will ever end. :rolleyes:

9. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I thought that, too. I read the manual for months, agonizing about this. But I bought one anyway.
    (New models of HP calculators used to worry me, too. But after using them, they proved to be very useful. Even if a lot of the functions were no longer on buttons.)

I think Elecraft put most of the routine functionality on the front panel buttons/knobs, which usually do at least two things each without involving the menu. (Very much like a HP calculator.)
    The menu is there for the details, which you probably won't use frequently.

And, the KX3 can store 8 macros, of which any two can be assigned to the programmable function keys. So, if you find yourself changing a menu setting frequently, you can assign that menu item to a PF key or write a macro to do a more complex sequence.

I will admit that the KX3 can be classified as neither fish nor fowl. It is not really an IC-7610 or K3/P3, and it is far too large and expensive to directly compete against the LNR MTR-4B. What it offers is portability and versatility.

I have read of a lot of operators who have a K3 "at home" and a KX3 for "in the field". I think the K3 has a few more knobs and buttons, but it also has a deep menu as well.

I suspect the Elecraft engineers liked HP calculators. ;)

10. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, success can and is often directly dependent upon excellence unless one is very lucky so they are definitely not (always) mutually exclusive, a term also often misunderstood and misused similar to "less" and "none".

As to the substance of this thread, criticism of a radio clearly designed for portable use for not being computer friendly is monumentally ironic unless people suffer from the delusion that computers are integral to portable hamming.